What will you do (Time)

Homes and Retreats
Bijela

What will you do (Time)

Post by Bijela »

Situation challenge...

It's winter and you will have no electricity for 2 weeks. How would you keep everyone occupied ? I'm trying to figure what to do with a teenager to who the world is ending when I reset the hub.
Vitamin c

Re: What will you do (Time)

Post by Vitamin c »

I'm afraid that the endorphins high from games like modern warfare on x box will make this almost impossible to achieve compared to card games or monopoly.

The games are designed to give a endorphin high so you keep buying them , x box and play station make more money than Hollywood.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bijela wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:38 pm Situation challenge...

It's winter and you will have no electricity for 2 weeks. How would you keep everyone occupied ? I'm trying to figure what to do with a teenager to who the world is ending when I reset the hub.
Tell them the washing up needs doing .... They will reappear every 5 or so hours expecting food then ask if the washing up is done yet.? :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

I would set them to work cutting and splitting wood, trapping and shooting game, digging and sieving compost, doing hand laundry, cooking, hand kneading bread.

In a world without electricity, there's so much that is done by hand, everyone has to pitch in.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If they are remotely musical, an acoustic guitar or other musical instrument might help. Just remember to pack earplugs for everyone else if they are a beginner.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hmmmmm. No teenagers here, thank gord!

No electricity = No TV, No Cooker and No Central heating. Would need to use the small generator just to cycle the freezers. Wrestling with that alone would be a full time job.

Every minute of daylight would be precious and rationed. I.e. spent outside doing stuff that needs daylight.

Senior Family member: Same as now. Wordsearch, just by lamplight :) We'd miss the Chase, so lots of napping.

Me. I'd find electricity-free ways to procrastinate over all those chores that don't get done when we do have electricity. Would SOOOOO miss the computer and internet. Would probably do some crazy cooking experiments over a rocket stove, recipes featuring wine. Would possibly try to find wood sources and get other stoves built such as a breezeblock one as NO WAY I'd ever want to be cookerless again. Yes, we would double down and spend time prepping for a month or more without electricity.

Hubby: He'd stay the hell out of my way if he's any sense. I am NOT the activities organiser or entertainments manager,
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

We actually had a trial run at this before Xmas - storm arwen, five days with power, three teenagers. No internet & mobile mast was down too. It was actually a fun time. Lots of board games (with adults joining in), lots of chocolate for everyone plus lots of wine for the adults. Don't know what it would have been like after two weeks but certainly those five days were no problem.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:28 pm

We actually had a trial run at this before Xmas - storm arwen, five days with power, three teenagers. No internet & mobile mast was down too. It was actually a fun time. Lots of board games (with adults joining in), lots of chocolate for everyone plus lots of wine for the adults. Don't know what it would have been like after two weeks but certainly those five days were no problem.
That’s a good,real- world example. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

We have kept loads of dvds. So, been thinking about getting a small solar panel to try and keep the laptops charged. Not sure how well they would charge in winter.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Or charge them in the car? Not very efficient but works.