just starting out

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jennyjj01

Re: just starting out

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:22 pm
Bijela wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm f you joined the tanks so 1 filters its bottom water to the top of the next one. ...
We connect bottom to bottom on tanks as shown. That way, connecting a pump to one tank draws water from them all and rain fills all tanks equally.
Well I'll be damned. Mine are top to top because I thought that was the only way. It's a bit rubbish and needs reconsidering.
Some good ideas re the sack truck idea. We do have a small light duty one and I like the idea of multi-purpose preps. I guess a golf trolley could also be repurposed. I think I'll divert my investment from aquaroll to something else.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:49 am Over in the thread Water Butt Stands, the member British Red convinced me of the somewhat ineffectiveness of water butts. I was a devotee, but now I'm undecided again.
As he rightly points out and as I already discovered, a few 100 litres does not go far if using them for the garden in a dry spell. So their primary garden purpose is a bit futile which leaves us as using them for domestic water storage. They stumble somewhat at that because of stagnation issues. I'm rethinking my entire water butt strategy to try to see how they can be best applied. Fortunately for me I have an approx 1m^3 of usable space just for bottled water. As you say 25L is just too heavy, so I favour 2L or 5L. especially 2L which is cheapest.
Filling the bath is not really much use in any kind of medium to long term situation. It might be the best we can manage in a small home, but what's it really going to be good for. It's only up to the sort of situation where you fill a kettle and a couple of pans when the water company schedules a few hours of outage. Long term, post a true shtf situation, it's a toughie. We all need our own stream or well! :!: :roll:
10 litres are quite a good size, not very heavy. I got the containers for £8 each. I also have some 5 litre ones which fit under my bed. Long term bug-in I'd have to rely on a canal nearby or a river about a mile away, and a stream a bit nearer. Obviously canal water might be stagnant, although I do see people fishing in it. Of course I have water filters and purification tabs. I think eventually I'll buy a better water filter for bug-in, maybe one that can purify too, will have to see what's available. In theory the Sawyer Micro can do 100,000 gallons. Apparently they are 3 x faster at gravity filtration if you fit silicone tube about 4 ft long to the exit end, or at least this was claimed for a Mini. Obviously long term, boiling is a good way to purify water. You need a rolling boil of 1 minute. This removes protozoa, parasites, bacteria and viruses, but not chemicals or inorganic matter.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pm
British Red wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:40 am Considering now is vital. In many parts of the country water towers and pumps are vital to maintain mains pressure and without electricity the taps will soon run dry. However much water we store, a strategy for gathering, transporting and purification surely has to be fundamental to any plan that is even medium term in nature. There's really precious little point in three months of food if we only have 7 days of water ( and that includes washing ourselves, cooking, laundry, etc.)
You are not wrong. Reading recent threads has made me far less comfortable with the water risk situation. We do take our taps for granted and not surprisingly.
If the taps go off medium to long term, we need some way to get distant water to the home, whether it's from a stream or an emergency bowser. Carrying >10L for hundreds of meters is beyond me. I'm newly tilted towards buying something like this Image to fill a hole in my plans

So..... ToDo list
Store max bottles of pure water in available space.
Enhance water butt practicality and capacity.
Prototype a filter rig.
Be ready and able to carry emergency water home.
Consider (im)practicality of harvesting in times of dry weather.

Store more wine!
That Water Hog design looks interesting. I've not given water carrying much thought, I must admit. I have a mountain bike with racks and panniers. The rear rack can take 26 kg. Panniers are 20 litres each. I need a couple of flexible water carriers that would fit into them. I do have one of the cheap (probably PVC) 20 litre camping ones. They are cheap, but PVC is bad for the environment. TPU ones are good, very flexible, but expensive.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:10 am That Water Hog design looks interesting. I've not given water carrying much thought, I must admit. I have a mountain bike with racks and panniers. The rear rack can take 26 kg. Panniers are 20 litres each. I need a couple of flexible water carriers that would fit into them. I do have one of the cheap (probably PVC) 20 litre camping ones. They are cheap, but PVC is bad for the environment. TPU ones are good, very flexible, but expensive.
I've gone off the Water Hog idea, in favour of just using our sack truck and golf carts with bottles strapped to it. The Water Hog would just take too much shed space and being single purpose for >£40, I didn't think it costed in.
I would struggle to carry 10L very far because of health issues. So 5L for me and if I'm paying £1 for a bottle, it would be full of drinking water :) . I'd also begrudge £8 for a 25L container :) I have a few collapsible bottles, somewhere.
26+20+20 Litres of water on a bike is a heck of a load, way over a hundredweight. If sloshing around, would make riding a nightmare.
Have ordered a few metres of flexible pond pipe, to improve my water butt collecting and connecting.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

We have the brook over the road. My wheelbarrow will easily Carry 75 litres. The wheelbarrow is a simple ,yet awesome tool.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:12 pm We have the brook over the road. My wheelbarrow will easily Carry 75 litres. The wheelbarrow is a simple ,yet awesome tool.
Upgrade kit £8 :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planit-Product ... 2209&psc=1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:16 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:12 pm We have the brook over the road. My wheelbarrow will easily Carry 75 litres. The wheelbarrow is a simple ,yet awesome tool.
Upgrade kit £8 :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planit-Product ... 2209&psc=1
Got three. Had em in stock for god knows how long. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:36 pm
I would struggle to carry 10L very far because of health issues. So 5L for me and if I'm paying £1 for a bottle, it would be full of drinking water :) . I'd also begrudge £8 for a 25L container :)
I have some cracking square, stackable containers that originally held restaurant "Finish" dishwasher liquid. When a local place were using it, they were happy to give them to me. I really like them because they are designed to stack - they are basically cubes. They are really handy - and free. The label just pulls off, the dishwasher liquid is designed to rinse off. Might be worth asking any friends you have in hospitality

ImageFree Jerry Can by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:16 pm If you can't get them

https://oipps.co.uk/10-l-plastic-natura ... -jerry-can
Good catch. Great prices