just starting out

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Re: just starting out

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:36 pm 26+20+20 Litres of water on a bike is a heck of a load, way over a hundredweight. If sloshing around, would make riding a nightmare.
The rack can handle 26 kg total ie including panniers and their contents. I have two 20 litre panniers to attach to the rack. So if I put 10 litres in each I'd be carrying 20kg + 1.5 (weight of panniers) = 21.5 kg total. The cheap soft containers are 20 l, so I'd have them half full. I have one, so need to get another.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

With all that weight, how well will the bike stop ? Once you have momentum that water may take some stopping especially if you heading downhill.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bijela wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:30 pm With all that weight, how well will the bike stop ? Once you have momentum that water may take some stopping especially if you heading downhill.
I still reckon that half full containers will slosh about and that will make the bike a B***** to steer or keep straight, or indeed to stop.

Like so many preps, you should probably try it when you can, before you need to do it in anger.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm
Bijela wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:30 pm With all that weight, how well will the bike stop ? Once you have momentum that water may take some stopping especially if you heading downhill.
I still reckon that half full containers will slosh about and that will make the bike a B***** to steer or keep straight, or indeed to stop.

Like so many preps, you should probably try it when you can, before you need to do it in anger.
Yes, very true. 20 kg is quite a bit, but not excessive in decent panniers on the back. I was 16kg heavier this time last year, and all that weight was higher up, plus I used to carry a small rucksack that weighed about 4 kg. Bike has hydraulic disc brakes, it can take it, only one small hill to go down, or I could avoid it. Admittedly mountain bikes aren't supposed to be loaded like trekking bikes, but loads of people use them for bikepacking. I routinely cycle with 6 kg in one pannier, and never notice it, even though the weight is off centre. I have tried a bag on top of a front rack and that did affect handling, so that was on ebay quickly!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:17 pm20 kg is quite a bit, but not excessive in decent panniers on the back. I was 16kg heavier this time last year,
Congratulations on that weight loss, that's a fantastic prep in itself!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:17 pm Yes, very true. 20 kg is quite a bit, but not excessive in decent panniers on the back. I was 16kg heavier this time last year, and all that weight was higher up, plus I used to carry a small rucksack that weighed about 4 kg. Bike has hydraulic disc brakes, it can take it, only one small hill to go down, or I could avoid it. Admittedly mountain bikes aren't supposed to be loaded like trekking bikes, but loads of people use them for bikepacking. I routinely cycle with 6 kg in one pannier, and never notice it, even though the weight is off centre. I have tried a bag on top of a front rack and that did affect handling, so that was on ebay quickly!
I bow to your superior knowledge. And kudos for the weight loss.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:38 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:17 pm Yes, very true. 20 kg is quite a bit, but not excessive in decent panniers on the back. I was 16kg heavier this time last year, and all that weight was higher up, plus I used to carry a small rucksack that weighed about 4 kg. Bike has hydraulic disc brakes, it can take it, only one small hill to go down, or I could avoid it. Admittedly mountain bikes aren't supposed to be loaded like trekking bikes, but loads of people use them for bikepacking. I routinely cycle with 6 kg in one pannier, and never notice it, even though the weight is off centre. I have tried a bag on top of a front rack and that did affect handling, so that was on ebay quickly!
I bow to your superior knowledge. And kudos for the weight loss.
Cheers! I researched it. A loaded trekking bike can weigh up to 45kg. My bike with front and rear racks, and empty rear panniers, is about 16.5kg. It's a good form of transport in bug-in or bug-out scenarios. I also have lightweight panniers for the front plus various rucksacks from 30 - 90 litres. Incidentally, for anyone interested, I was lucky in that the rear of the bike had eyelets just above the axle. To attach the top, I swapped the seat tube collar for one with eyelets. Rack is a Topeak Explorer. I actually used a non-disc version, as my bike shop said it would work better, even though I have discs.