Toilets when SHTF

Homes and Retreats
pseudonym

Re: Toilets when SHTF

Post by pseudonym »

British Red wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:46 pm Caustic soda isn't that hard to make, but it is something to treat with caution - as witnessed by "Fight Club".
Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule Number 1........ :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Ah but can you remember rule #2? 😉
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If I remember right woodash would make soft soap while caustic soda will give you bars of soap/in one of the Llittle House on the Prairie books Laura's mother keeps a jar of homemade soft soap for washing up and everyday use while the bar soap (bought) only comes out for guests.

The Tippy Tap hand washing system might also be useful for situations where tap water is non-existent - currently in use in the Third World but also good for camping and SHTF situations.

https://www.wateraid.org/uk/sites/g/fil ... ctions.pdf
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:46 pm Caustic soda isn't that hard to make, but it is something to treat with caution - as witnessed by "Fight Club".
EEK
Features obscenities... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lSERfLMec

"Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face "... If you melt them with caustic soda
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:43 pm If I remember right woodash would make soft soap while caustic soda will give you bars of soap
Just so. Lye can make bar soap, but it doesn't want to. It makes cracking "hot process" liquid soap though.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

For a week or two at home without mains water you can easily modify a fold up camping chair or stool by cutting a hole in it and using dog poo bags or larger sandwich bags for the solid waste you need to pee before using these so for females get hold of a 'Shewee' like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VJK-Ladies-Fem ... 2708&psc=1

Remember if using doggy bags they are biodegradable so you want to store them inside a couple of heavy duty bin liners.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Their are a number of recipes on youtube on how to make soap with used vegetable oil.
Fill er up jacko...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Vitamin c wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:08 pm Their are a number of recipes on youtube on how to make soap with used vegetable oil.
Interesting! I wonder if unused, well out of date, vegetable oil will do it? I've put it by for oil lights, but if I could make soap with it, I'd be very happy :)
British Red

Post by British Red »

It will work, animal fats are better imo ( lard especially)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:18 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:08 pm Their are a number of recipes on youtube on how to make soap with used vegetable oil.
Interesting! I wonder if unused, well out of date, vegetable oil will do it? I've put it by for oil lights, but if I could make soap with it, I'd be very happy :)
I've read any fats can be used, some are better then others though.
Unused but unedible oil should be fine..... In fact its probably the best current use for it.

I remember something about curing new soap.....Let me find my books and I'll get back to you.

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar