Dealing with Space Limitations

Homes and Retreats
jennyjj01

Re: Dealing with Space Limitations

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:08 pm

Our village still has that pump. We still have a brick soft water cistern.It has a submersible pump in it for watering the garden.
I had to google soft water cisterns, Do you mean like this???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4B9xTD23fA

Basically a big brick reservoir? Do they fill from land drains or does water permeate in from the ground. Looks awesome.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 pm [

Basically a big brick reservoir? Do they fill from land drains or does water permeate in from the ground. Looks awesome.
They are basically a brick ( or other material) reservoir

They don't fill from the ground ( if they did, they would be a well), they fill from rainwater - usually from house and barn gutters. They were common around here because we are at sea level and the well water, whilst safe, is a little brackish (faint salt taste from the sea). Ours is, if memory serves, is about 2,000 gallons.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Creative shelving can utilise even the naffest of spaces

These cost me next to nothing scrap chip board and some thin bearers

And a few screws and plugs
IMG_20180511_191738940_2 (1).jpg
Spaced out to store what you require
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:08 pm

Our village still has that pump. We still have a brick soft water cistern.It has a submersible pump in it for watering the garden.

Ours is a mere 1 metre cubed.So its a scaled-down version.its filled by rainwater run- off. Back in the day,it had a hand pump over it,and it served two houses.in the Next Door garden there is a spring fed well. We forget its there if I am honest. Many of the houses here have them. A house a few doors down has a name plate up on the wall stating ' Aqua Pura'.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:17 pm

Ours is a mere 1 metre cubed.So its a scaled-down version.its filled by rainwater run- off.
Ours isn't huge - 2 and a bit metres cubed. Not massive when you peer in but contains a surprising amount when you calculate it out
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 pm I had to google soft water cisterns, Do you mean like this???

Ours is a mere 1 metre cubed.So its a scaled-down version.its filled by rainwater run- off. Back in the day,it had a hand pump over it,and it served two houses.in the Next Door garden there is a spring fed well. We forget its there if I am honest. Many of the houses here have them. A house a few doors down has a name plate up on the wall stating ' Aqua Pura'.
Fascinating. I never knew such things existed. Obviously I knew wells existed, but never thought of underground brick water storage tanks being common.
In that video, the water was teeming with critters. Is that what our ancestors used for drinking water? Heckin' heck. The must surely have boiled everything. That doesn't even look fit to rinse your feet in.

And, like a cellar, a precious asset. Would love one.

Your one metre cubed cistern might lend itself to other uses? A cache, filled with low cost, high volume supplies? Bottles of drinking water all stacked up? It wouldn't matter if water got in. That metre cubed could liberate the same volume of your indoor storage?

Which brings us to the reminder that storage can exist as buried plastic containers. There was a member HedgerowPete here who was into burying stashes at locations off his own property: Roadside ditches etc. Storage space is storage space. Think outside the box that is your home.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:52 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 pm I had to google soft water cisterns, Do you mean like this???

Fascinating. I never knew such things existed. Obviously I knew wells existed, but never thought of underground brick water storage tanks being common.
In that video, the water was teeming with critters. Is that what our ancestors used for drinking water? Heckin' heck. The must surely have boiled everything. That doesn't even look fit to rinse your feet in.

And, like a cellar, a precious asset. Would love one.

Your one metre cubed cistern might lend itself to other uses? A cache, filled with low cost, high volume supplies? Bottles of drinking water all stacked up? It wouldn't matter if water got in. That metre cubed could liberate the same volume of your indoor storage?

Which brings us to the reminder that storage can exist as buried plastic containers. There was a member (I'll look his posts out ) here who was into burying stashes at locations off his own property: Roadside ditches etc. Storage space is storage space. Think outside the box that is your home.
The cistern waters the garden. Regarding buried caches.... Going to bed now. Talk about that tomorrow! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.