Choices

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Choices

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm My choice is bicycle. Cheap, reliable, don't need petrol or electricity, silent. I have two racks, so I can carry 4 panniers plus a bit on top and a rucksack. Bikes are technical these days, so for instance if the shifter went, I'd probably have to ditch it.
Shifter / cable failure remove cable use the h and l screws to put it into a gear you can plod along on ..

Rear mech / derailure failure remove dump tie up cable.. remove chain links to single speed tye bike middle back sprocket .. middle ring and plod on
Bicycle mechanics are simple. In the tens of thousands of miles I have ridden,I have never had a shifter fail. Snapped cable,yes,but they are simple to replace. Mind you,as Andy suggests,single speed is good. By the time I was 45 years,I was racked off with maintenance,so I went fixed wheel. Best cycling ever. And only tyre pressure and front brake pads to maintain!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm My choice is bicycle. Cheap, reliable, don't need petrol or electricity, silent. I have two racks, so I can carry 4 panniers plus a bit on top and a rucksack. Bikes are technical these days, so for instance if the shifter went, I'd probably have to ditch it.
Shifter / cable failure remove cable use the h and l screws to put it into a gear you can plod along on ..

Rear mech / derailure failure remove dump tie up cable.. remove chain links to single speed tye bike middle back sprocket .. middle ring and plod on
Bicycle mechanics are simple. In the tens of thousands of miles I have ridden,I have never had a shifter fail. Snapped cable,yes,but they are simple to replace. Mind you,as Andy suggests,single speed is good. By the time I was 45 years,I was racked off with maintenance,so I went fixed wheel. Best cycling ever. And only tyre pressure and front brake pads to maintain!
Old biking mate lived in a large city and commuted by fixed single speed... He left it outside the local paper shop was stood with his paper and milk waiting to pay and some little idiot tried having his bike away.. now my mate was a big rugby player so had the stamina as he gave chase to the point the wrong un turned into a ten foot ... and the curse of the fixxie bit no ratchet the bike ejected him as the peddle grounded and well there was a bit of a rough scrum / lineout
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:50 pm

Old biking mate lived in a large city and commuted by fixed single speed... He left it outside the local paper shop was stood with his paper and milk waiting to pay and some little idiot tried having his bike away.. now my mate was a big rugby player so had the stamina as he gave chase to the point the wrong un turned into a ten foot ... and the curse of the fixxie bit no ratchet the bike ejected him as the peddle grounded and well there was a bit of a rough scrum / lineout
Oh yes! The old No Freewheel Launch! :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Wow, those are awesome tips. Reassuring. When I first got the bike I broke the sifter after about a week! I think I was changing gear going up a hill, putting too much load on the pedals. Bike was stuck in lowest gear, 1 x 12 so was easier just to walk. Wish I'd known/thought about the h/l screws. Made the mistake of unscrewing the shifter from the wrong side to investigate, and it was like the inside of a watch.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I have a decent bike, SRAM shifter broke about 2 weeks after I got it. They are so complicated the shop wouldn't try to repair it, had to have a new one. Wasn't on guarantee as this was during lockdown and a different bike shop (bought it online).
Never had a problem since, but some people say shifting while pedalling hard can cause it, and it went just after I changed while trying to go up a small hill.
Fixie doesn't really appeal to me. I don't live in the hills, but going over bridges I need to change down a few. There are a couple I can't avoid, where the road goes over a canal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:28 am

Wow, those are awesome tips. Reassuring. When I first got the bike I broke the sifter after about a week! I think I was changing gear going up a hill, putting too much load on the pedals. Bike was stuck in lowest gear, 1 x 12 so was easier just to walk. Wish I'd known/thought about the h/l screws. Made the mistake of unscrewing the shifter from the wrong side to investigate, and it was like the inside of a watch.

The h and l screws are stops to stop the chain jumping into the spokes or dropping into the axle Google park tool repair help and they have a good online Haynes style repair guide

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:21 am

The h and l screws are stops to stop the chain jumping into the spokes or dropping into the axle Google park tool repair help and they have a good online Haynes style repair guide
Thanks. I've seen videos of derailleur adjustment. I'll watch some more. I did fit a new chain last year, so I have removed links and joined it. But I carry a smaller chain breaker I've not used, so I'll try that out on the bit of chain I removed, to make sure I can use it. I'll try to find out how to remove the derailleur as well. I do have a spare hanger that came with the bike, at least I think that's what it is.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:37 am

Thanks. I've seen videos of derailleur adjustment. I'll watch some more. I did fit a new chain last year, so I have removed links and joined it. But I carry a smaller chain breaker I've not used, so I'll try that out on the bit of chain I removed, to make sure I can use it. I'll try to find out how to remove the derailleur as well. I do have a spare hanger that came with the bike, at least I think that's what it is.

Look at the SRAM power links make rejoining a chain easy

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:10 pm

The chains come with them, PowerLOCKS actually, not sure what the difference is between them and PowerLINKS, but they are different, I think. It might be related to what speed it is. Mine is x 12.
It was easy to instal. The derailleur locks to give you slack and I have a tool which works both ways on the PowerLock. Seems crazy people buy two separate tools. I believe you can lock them by holding the back wheel and pushing the pedal, or just riding, but the tool is easier, especially to undo them.
Ordered a new chain today, was £12 cheaper than a year ago! But I'm just going to keep it as a spare for now. Also I keep a couple of those powerlocks in my tool kit.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:10 pm

I’ll second the SRAM links. Brilliant invention.

Robert Frost.

Me.