Choices

Logistics and Transport
grenfell

Re: Choices

Post by grenfell »

To me the ideal bug out vehicle issue raise a question. To a degree it revolves around timing. A 4x4 might sound a good choice and a tracked vehicle might be better still but do you keep the bug out vehicle parked or in the garage ready to go purely for bugging out or is it having to serve as an everyday vehicle . Keeping a vehicle just for the possibility of bugging out in is an expensive option as it still has to be maintained and fuelled . There is the argument that it wouldn't need to have an mot or to be fully road legal as it's only going to be used in an emergency. Running the bug out vehicle as an everyday car is going to be dearer too if it's something like a 4x4 permanently loaded with fuel cans , food , tools and camping gear .
My own choice for a bugout vehicle should I need one is a transit van simply because that's what I'm running around in now. One other thought , trailers. Not quite a bug out situation but I use a trailer for re-enactment. Camouflage painted but that's because it was a fugly white obvious box which is now a green fugly less obvious box It stays loaded up and is ready to roll within minutes and saves me loads of time not having to unload and load the van.
jansman

Post by jansman »

No discussion on home defences,unless it’s about locks an fences etc. Absolutely no weapon discussion either.UK Preppers adheres to the laws of the land. That’s final.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:10 am We don't discuss weapons here, but maybe time for a few posts on home defensive strategies, medium to longer term?
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:22 pm No discussion on home defences,unless it’s about locks an fences etc. Absolutely no weapon discussion either.UK Preppers adheres to the laws of the land. That’s final.
Thanks. Of course. Noted.
I was thinking purely along the lines of engaging with selected neighbours to cooperate into maintaining a mini community, neigborhood watch and fortification at home and street level etc. Does need one to be living in the right street to begin with.

Defensive strategies:-
Have good locks NOW.
Secure tools that might be used to break into your home
Assess your fort from an invader's Point of view.
Make your fort Low Key.
Make alliances with select neighbours.
Use security cameras to monitor your perimeter.
Noisy gravel drive
Have a loyal and barky dog.

That sort of thing.

First rule of fort club. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

A question to members who have plans to bug out ; Do you have a specific, stocked location that you are qualified to inhabit?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:30 amMy own choice for a bugout vehicle should I need one is a transit van simply because that's what I'm running around in now. One other thought , trailers. Not quite a bug out situation but I use a trailer for re-enactment.
Grenfell! Have you read Zombie Castle, by the same guy that wrote UK Dark? In the 2nd chapter, two guys meet up after freaking out at a garage that's had a zombie running loose, and one of them is a re-enactor :) They meet up with his mates later, and the re-enactment skills play a big part in their survival (heading to Warwick Castle, its fun!)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

As far as the choice of bugging out is concerned, one choice would be the spanking new Premier Inn that was built in my town just before covid started up. 2nd choice, the shabby-looking Best Western by our hospital.

For short term stuff, my sister would take me in, longer term, I hope so, as my presence is accompanied by lots of stores (she's got the equal of my stores in some things, actually) and a lot of books and knowledge about how to get more knowledge.

Bugging out to "the wild" - no, not in south east England :lol: and a surprising number of self-styled hippies, aged 20 upwards, live exactly that life, in minibuses, old vans, old buses, and they're used to it - some of them are *much* tougher than convention has it, and their viewpoint on ownership is extremely fluid. In my line of work, it was inevitable I'd run across members of that sub-culture, and though the countryside isn't wild, those hippies are.
British Red

Post by British Red »

It does surprise me when people think they can just occupy someone else's land. There were people that thought they could walk across fields and around farms and other areas where there is no "right of way" in the first lockdown. :roll: .

They soon learned.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

There is no law of trespass in Scotland but that doesn't include vehicles. In other words you can walk anywhere but not sure if that includes "setting up house". Plenty of land in north Scotland but weather would take some contending with and there is vast tracks of land with NOTHING on it to eat. The areas that do have deer , pheasants etc are invariably estates so the animals farmed or wild belong to them and taking anything is poaching. There are rivers with fish but most are owned by someone, so again you'd be stealing. Obviously if you've gone as far as bugging out the chances are that the rule of law has taken a hit too but even if you're willing to poach, there's a very limited supply of things to kill.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:59 pm
grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:30 amMy own choice for a bugout vehicle should I need one is a transit van simply because that's what I'm running around in now. One other thought , trailers. Not quite a bug out situation but I use a trailer for re-enactment.
Grenfell! Have you read Zombie Castle, by the same guy that wrote UK Dark? In the 2nd chapter, two guys meet up after freaking out at a garage that's had a zombie running loose, and one of them is a re-enactor :) They meet up with his mates later, and the re-enactment skills play a big part in their survival (heading to Warwick Castle, its fun!)
No I hadn't heard of that one , I'll have to look that up. Our medieval re-enactment group purposely went down the social scale to portray the working classes which we think might give us the edge if we ever needed it moreso than re-enacting the lives of the upper classes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:48 pm It does surprise me when people think they can just occupy someone else's land. There were people that thought they could walk across fields and around farms and other areas where there is no "right of way" in the first lockdown. :roll: .

They soon learned.
That’s my point. You cannot just plonk your tent/ camper van or whatever upon any piece of land you choose( in England at least). There’s a large family in our village, who you might compare to The Dingles in Emmerdale on the tv. They farm, have horse livery, do groundwork etc. They are, shall we say, rather independent.
A few years ago , Irish travellers decided to put down roots in one of their fields. The four brothers told them to leave. They were told to “ get an injunction “. What they did was to fetch in two JCBs and start digging a ditch and embankment around them. The trespassers thought they were kidding, until all they left was enough passage to get their vans out. They got 30 minutes to move, and boy did they move! That was when the travellers had the law on their side. Imagine when society is without rule of law.

There are landowners up and down the UK like that. I wouldn’t put up with it.

Robert Frost.

Me.