Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Choices

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 am
Nurseandy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm So, I was caught up in this -

BBC News - Three dead after Highlands crash at Slochd Summit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-62058184

The A9 South of Inverness was closed for several hours. Diversion was ~70miles to avoid it and it was a total mare due a combination of minor roads and the increased volume of traffic on them even on a Tuesday afternoon in a rural area.

It did demonstrate how quickly the roads would become snarled up in a shtf situation and how impractical bugging out may be.

As a side note, I was 2 1/2 hours late to my patient but she'd seen the news and had the kettle ready for my arrival :)
Sorry to hear that, N/Andy - how nice of your patient :) :) :)

Does make you think about "bug out" plans - I've just had a look at Slochd Summit on google maps - the lack of alternatives is striking. There's a *lot* more side roads and back roads in S England, but they're all narrow, and often sunken, one breakdown would block the entire thing. All over the country (countries! there are four!) infrastructure is under intense pressure, and anything extra just overwhelms it. There's nothing spare, nothing at all.
I read a book about this very subject- ‘Getting Home In An Emergency’ by a certain Jay Whiteley. I guess it’s still available on Amazon. Not sure. However, it’s a very UK based take on the subject.No four wheel drives and über bug out bags. Just common sense. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 am

The A9 South of Inverness was closed for several hours. Diversion was ~70miles to avoid it and it was a total mare due a combination of minor roads and the increased volume of traffic on them even on a Tuesday afternoon in a rural area.

It did demonstrate how quickly the roads would become snarled up in a shtf situation and how impractical bugging out may be.

As a side note, I was 2 1/2 hours late to my patient but she'd seen the news and had the kettle ready for my arrival :)
Sorry to hear that, N/Andy - how nice of your patient :) :) :)

Does make you think about "bug out" plans - I've just had a look at Slochd Summit on google maps - the lack of alternatives is striking. There's a *lot* more side roads and back roads in S England, but they're all narrow, and often sunken, one breakdown would block the entire thing. All over the country (countries! there are four!) infrastructure is under intense pressure, and anything extra just overwhelms it. There's nothing spare, nothing at all.
I read a book about this very subject- ‘Getting Home In An Emergency’ by a certain Jay Whiteley. I guess it’s still available on Amazon. Not sure. However, it’s a very UK based take on the subject.No four wheel drives and über bug out bags. Just common sense. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: how sweet! Thank you! Actually, a writing project for this winter would be a second edition, I think. As far as I know, second editions pop up free for people who have the first, and in any case, I'd do a couple of offers - it's more for myself, really, I think it's fascinating :D
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

I guess on that, if you have places you normally go. Looking now for public footpaths or Google mapping a straight line and looking for anything in the way if you had to walk.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m on the A9 fairly regularly albeit only up to the Feldy turn off (I play Strathtay with a mate), the road has always been crazy. I’ve always said if I had to get up to my mate’s I would be fine if I got across the Queensferry Crossing but the road is a menace. Bugging in makes more sense unless it’s a Nuke and then we are all FUBAR anyway