Sack barrows

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
British Red

Re: Sack barrows

Post by British Red »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:05 pm Ooh Red, it's pretty!
Time for barrow races - climb on!
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:05 pm Hunted around and the best delivered price I could get was £18.99 on eBay. They say £19.99 but if you look at the listing it gives you a code for 5% off. They have proper bearings not those stupid plastic hubs ( but they are a hideous colour - my red barrow is going to look like something off Noddy :lol: )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233941524933 ... %7Ciid%3A1
I don’t mind yellow wheels!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:42 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:27 pm That's what I've got. Buy it, you'll not be disappointed.
Okay, I'm blaming you :mrgreen:

ImageSack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Seems good value and well made. Ordered a set of solid wheels for my old sack truck ( the pneumatic tyres are totally perished). It can live in the wood yard for shifting big logs about!
Brand spanking new? Like a polished 4x4. You should not show it off until after you shifted at least a tonne of muck with it through a muddy field. :D

Mine was a fiver from the charity shop and a teensy bit lighter weight. More like an old lady's 'shopper'. Just about good for moving 25L.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

My old red one has more cred - but it also has dirty great cracks in the sidewalls of the tyres, rust on the base plate and a slightly bent axle from using it as a Peavy hook :oops:
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:42 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:27 pm That's what I've got. Buy it, you'll not be disappointed.
Okay, I'm blaming you :mrgreen:

Seems good value and well made. Ordered a set of solid wheels for my old sack truck ( the pneumatic tyres are totally perished). It can live in the wood yard for shifting big logs about!

I'll manage to sleep - I've given worse advice ;-)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

BR: You went with the double toe-plate, why you pick that over the standard ?
It does need to get the new polished off now :-)

Like the yellow racing wheels, let us know how they hold up the abuse.... errm.... 'Normal usage' :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
British Red

Post by British Red »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:18 pm BR: You went with the double toe-plate, why you pick that over the standard ?
It does need to get the new polished off now :-)
The long toe plate is for moving coops around ( of which we have a LOT) - turns a two man job into a one man job

ImageNesters coop by English Countrylife, on Flickr

But also for "soft and bulky" stuff like straw, bailed shavings, feed sacks etc. I won't use it all the time but it's occasionally handy
British Red

Post by British Red »

Well you might remember the old sack truck

It looks tidy enough in that picture but a close up of the tyres shows big cracks and perishing

ImagePerished rubber tyre by English Countrylife, on Flickr

The foot plate has also lost big areas of paint and is rusting but structurally okay

First job is is to strip off the old wheels and axle

ImageSack truck body by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Before fitting new wheels it makes sense to tidy up the body. I used a flap disc on a grinder to remove rust and loose paint. That flap disc is about done - but I wring every last use out if them :lol:

ImageFlap disc by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Before painting I always clean and degrease - otherwise the paint doesn't stick

ImageDegreaser by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Once that's done it's a couple of coats of cheap Wilko rattle can - this isn't high art - just rust proofing ;)

ImageSpray paint by English Countrylife, on Flickr

ImageSpray job by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Before fitting the new wheels a healthy greasing of all the moving parts

ImageGrease by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I could have re-used the split pins but I don't like to as being bent repeatedly weakens them so break out the fastenings box

ImageSplit pins by English Countrylife, on Flickr

New wheels on, pin in, ready to bend

ImageSolid rubber wheels by English Countrylife, on Flickr

And there we have it - Noddy's sack truck :mrgreen: - a small job but means I have it back in use for logging and can keep the temperature be with pneumatic tyres for coops etc.

ImageRestored sack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Fascinating, Red, I love it. Though it's a bit bright 😎

I love that the wheels are solid, and that that grease is called "grease". Wilko is very good sometimes :)
British Red

Post by British Red »

It's Noddy's sack truck - it has to be bright!

(Actually that Wilko bright red is cheaper than marking paint so I keep a few cans for splash marking. Black and clear I get in Lidl but they don't have bright stuff)