Sack barrows

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Sack barrows

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A spin off from a 'getting started' thread and expanding the Lo-tech thread.

Sack barrows (and trolleys ) are really useful around the prep-stead especially if you're no longer an invulnerable 20-something.

So, whats good, bad and indifferent ?

Well, I've got one of these, its fine for lighter things (10kgs or so) and its OK if you're on fairly smooth and hard surfaces. But, because of the little wheels I can't use it in the garden and even a normal tarmac road is a bit too rough for it to roll easily

What I'm looking to replace it with is something like this.... I like the 'Closed frame' rather then the twin handled type as I've tried to use one that had one bent handle and its horrible

Then there are the ones with double toe-plates, ideal if you're planning on moving big floppy items (like filled sacks or haybales)

Then there are Stair climbers..... Worth paying the extra if you're going to be going up more then a couple of steps often

And last but not least, Combination sack barrow/trolley..... Quite heavy compared to a normal sack barrow and not as good as a proper trolley (small wheels), but if you only have cash/space for one thing its good enough

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Re: Sack barrows

Post by jansman »

Big fan of the sack barrow. I have two,like your first folding one ( for the car) and the second one you showed. Certainly save the back and knees of a soon- to- be 60 bloke :lol:

And what about the humble wheelbarrow? Pneumatic tyre of course …
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

We've got one with the long fold down toe plate, 250kg load capacity. 8" pneumatic tyres, brilliant thing. Makes moving washing machines & engine blocks a doddle.
British Red

Post by British Red »

I'm toying with one of these since my current one is fairly shot. Bargain at £41 and 10% off for the next 2 days!

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-all ... 679_BQ.prd
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

That's what I've got. Buy it, you'll not be disappointed.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

As a hgv delivery driver I've used these a lot the second yellow one is OK for general use the ones we are supplied with are all aluminium and cost £300 plus .
The 2nd yellow trolley is good design because it's tall and will give good leverage when needed .
Fill er up jacko...
British Red

Post by British Red »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:27 pm That's what I've got. Buy it, you'll not be disappointed.
Okay, I'm blaming you :mrgreen:

ImageSack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Seems good value and well made. Ordered a set of solid wheels for my old sack truck ( the pneumatic tyres are totally perished). It can live in the wood yard for shifting big logs about!
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:42 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:27 pm That's what I've got. Buy it, you'll not be disappointed.
Okay, I'm blaming you :mrgreen:

ImageSack truck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Seems good value and well made. Ordered a set of solid wheels for my old sack truck ( the pneumatic tyres are totally perished). It can live in the wood yard for shifting big logs about!
Where did you get the solid wheels from,please?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ooh Red, it's pretty!
British Red

Post by British Red »

Hunted around and the best delivered price I could get was £18.99 on eBay. They say £19.99 but if you look at the listing it gives you a code for 5% off. They have proper bearings not those stupid plastic hubs ( but they are a hideous colour - my red barrow is going to look like something off Noddy :lol: )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233941524933 ... %7Ciid%3A1