Q3 Lights on, Lights off

Homes and Retreats
pseudonym

Re: Q3 Lights on, Lights off

Post by pseudonym »

Battery Christmas lights back out.......
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Electric lighting was a game changer when it was first invented because it is strong enbough to work by.

There are two main uses for lighting.
1) Safety when moving around. For many people this would be OK at nightlight level - or garden type solar or just luminescent strips at key locations.
2) Task lighting. Strong light in the evening means that productive work like cooking/sewing/repairs etc can be undertaken. Without it you are back to a very old world of telling stories, singing etc by the fire before bed.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lighting is so simple these days. LED,battery powered lighting is SO efficient,batteries last for ages,so there’s no excuse for burning your house down with stupid bl**dy candles! I hate candles.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like candles :lol: (in some respects)

IMG_20220401_233644_293.jpg
Everyone is in bed I'm sat in the living room curtains shut lit by solar life lights 8-) ,. Kitchen is currently 14°c hall way 16°c living room is running somewhere between 19°c and 20°c depending where I point the thermometer three candles in the fire place are pushing out 28.3°c of the fire place by the infrared thermo gun they really do keep the chill off its amazing what heat they put out IF USED CAREFULLY

In the lounge there are 2x smoke detectors since the mains one is out of date I stuck s Battery one up alongside.. I've got a foam aerosol extinguisher handy plus a larger 2ltr AFF extinguisher in the hall and kitchen 3 Ltr multi foam plus fire blanket
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:47 pm I like candles :lol: (in some respects)

IMG_20220401_233644_293.jpg

Everyone is in bed I'm sat in the living room curtains shut lit by solar life lights 8-) ,. Kitchen is currently 14°c hall way 16°c living room is running somewhere between 19°c and 20°c depending where I point the thermometer three candles in the fire place are pushing out 28.3°c of the fire place by the infrared thermo gun they really do keep the chill off its amazing what heat they put out IF USED CAREFULLY

In the lounge there are 2x smoke detectors since the mains one is out of date I stuck s Battery one up alongside.. I've got a foam aerosol extinguisher handy plus a larger 2ltr AFF extinguisher in the hall and kitchen 3 Ltr multi foam plus fire blanket
I know :lol: You know why I don’t like candles!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh yes :lol:

Another issue fast approaching is a lot of people will be DIY installing multi fuel burners or just opening up old fireplaces with no idea what they are doing ... Chimney fires / co poisoning / fires due to ejected material will be on the up

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:29 am Oh yes :lol:

Another issue fast approaching is a lot of people will be DIY installing multi fuel burners or just opening up old fireplaces with no idea what they are doing ... Chimney fires / co poisoning / fires due to ejected material will be on the up
Then the use of woodburners will be banned by the "think of the children" Govt. :tinfoil
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Those two last posts are so true. I have a neighbour who had an open fireplace installed five years ago, and has never had it swept!

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Mum used to share an office with building control. they had to deal with the aftermath of a household fire after the builder retrofitted the fireplace - straight on top of the floorboards. You couldn't make it up!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:09 pm Mum used to share an office with building control. they had to deal with the aftermath of a household fire after the builder retrofitted the fireplace - straight on top of the floorboards. You couldn't make it up!
I rest my case your honour :shock: :lol: :roll:

Next biggest fear with the prices of fuel rising is those who will tamper with their utilitys to get "free" gas or leccy turning their house into a bomb or fire waiting to happen ,,. Know a ex gas man he can tell some tails ...