Windmills (well turbine's)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Windmills (well turbine's)

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Since it's approaching summer :lol: and the solar is working ok thinking of 6 months time when the dark night's begin looming again about adding to my generating capacity and adding a small wind turbine of some sort to add to the stash to gain extra flexibility

But in a built up area it's going to stand out a bit :?

Been looking at a small collapsible one that I almost bought a couple of years ago but there's nothing on the market available like it anymore with the intention of putting it up when needed rather than a permanent fixture..

The larger 12v stuff is just going to be too obvious be it the generic wind turbine or lantern type (which is fairly naff efficiency wise) and need a decent mast etc which isn't subtle

The fact it's usb only isn't ideal but its size Vs efficiency it'll be better than nothing allowing breeze permitting to charge a power bank over night for example put it up on the shed roof in the dark and away at dawn if it got that bad... Or 20 minutes up a ladder with a adapted TV gable end bracket well out The reach of most bar a council planning officer :lol:

The hunt continues for one to become available over the summer
Screenshot_20220403-104036.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Re: Windmills (well turbine's)

Post by British Red »

The logic of a combination of a wind turbine and solar array is very high more wind in Winter when there's less sun. I confess to never having experimented with small scale wind so if you do try I'd love to hear your experiences
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Lots of boats have a small wind turbine to keep the engine batteries charged. Might be worth having a look at some chandlers' websites
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I like that, it's small enough that it genuinely is portable, and on Tex Energy's site it's only US$135, though heaven only knows what the duty would be.

When my first dishwasher died a few years ago, I pulled the spin blades off the shelves, thinking I/someone handy might make something of them. They're so light, it must be possible for someone with even basic skills. I don't have basic skills, of course, but I'm dreaming I do.

The other thing I found when I went a-googling is this https://www.ecopowershop.com/wind-turbi ... ading-edge I love this design - when it came out a few years ago, it was said it was less lethal to birdlife, and it's certainly less obvious, though the basic model is over £1000 and I don't know enough about it to say whether it even works properly.

Good luck Y/Andy, hope you get somewhere :)
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

I found this usual link a while ago.
Not sure if it'll help anyone here

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-h ... -turbines/

One of the many suggested articles google offers me when I'm bored