Washing Machines

For all things financial
dizzydays

Washing Machines

Post by dizzydays »

Has anyone worked out what it costs to run a load of washing in the machine? I'm just curious as I'm without one at the moment and using the laundrette (cost risen 20% this week), which kind of sparked the idea of what does it cost at home.
Obviously its tricky now with all the price rises but I wondered if anyone had a ballpark idea before all this kicked off?

DD
GillyBee

Re: Washing Machines

Post by GillyBee »

You should be able to find it in your washing machine manual (online). Mine is about 0.6KW for a 40C load and 2KW for a boil wash.

Meanwhile the tumbledrier is 3.5KW every load so a boil wash (90C) followed by a tumble dry is going to cost me 5.5 Kw or £1.65 at 30p/KW. If you do one every day that would be almost £50 a month for boil washing and or £33 for 40C washing.

If we dry everything on the line and use 40C wash then it brings the cost down dramatically to £5.58 With British weather that is a forlorn hope so we will dry as far as possible outside and finish on the radiatior or a very short tumble if necessary.

I am concentrating on washing as much as I can at cooler temperatures and training the household to use the washing line. Meanwhile DH has fitted some lines up in a covered part of the patio for protected drying and we have bought a couple of the 30 peg multi-hanger things to make handling socks and pants easier.

We may still need to use the tumbledrier to get the last of the damp out on a bad day but the goal is to minimise it's use. I just hope we get a decent summer and not one filled with non-stop rain.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have reduced our use of the tumble drier dramatically. That alone has made a big difference to the electric bill. Regarding the washing machine, well that is a necessary piece of kit. I do a very dirty job, and kit needs washing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We had to manage without a washing machine (or launderette) briefly many years ago. It is not something I would willingly repeat. I managed without a tumbledrier for most of my adult life but I view a washing machine as an essential.
Things would have to get a lot more expensive for me to consider giving that up.
If we can't afford to wash our clothes then we will be in a really bad place and have much worse to worry about.
British Red

Post by British Red »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:27 pm We had to manage without a washing machine (or launderette) briefly many years ago. It is not something I would willingly repeat. I managed without a tumbledrier for most of my adult life but I view a washing machine as an essential.
Totally agree - the TV would go long before the washing machine ( we gave up the TV licence a number of years ago)
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:27 pm We had to manage without a washing machine (or launderette) briefly many years ago. It is not something I would willingly repeat. I managed without a tumbledrier for most of my adult life but I view a washing machine as an essential.
Things would have to get a lot more expensive for me to consider giving that up.
If we can't afford to wash our clothes then we will be in a really bad place and have much worse to worry about.
I agree with that, totally. Running hot water and a washing machine are two very civilising elements in a house.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've ordered one of those usb washing machine jobbies.. I'm somewhat skeptical but if it does something it's going in the camping trailer for knocking the muck out of the smalls whilst camping...

But me being me thinking a 25l bucket it might ease the hand flogging of lighter clothing fill with hot water clothes and soap and plug in. .. ..

To be continued 😂 probably with a 5 year old Mr independent underpants as a control :roll: ewwww

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255311498306 ... _4QAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:09 pm I've ordered one of those usb washing machine jobbies.. I'm somewhat skeptical but if it does something it's going in the camping trailer for knocking the muck out of the smalls whilst camping...

But me being me thinking a 25l bucket it might ease the hand flogging of lighter clothing fill with hot water clothes and soap and plug in. .. ..

To be continued 😂 probably with a 5 year old Mr independent underpants as a control :roll: ewwww

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255311498306 ... _4QAvD_BwE
That will be interesting Andy.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Agreed. I don't have a tumble dryer but having to go without a washing machine would really be desperate times.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I got rid of the tumble drier years ago. Never really missed it. Only wash twice a week now, once whites and once darks. But there's only the two of us, so it's easy.