Washing Machines

For all things financial
Arzosah

Re: Washing Machines

Post by Arzosah »

Never had a tumble drier. That usb washer looks interesting - it takes a kilo at a time, so I imagine it's quite tiny - but being powered by a usb, presumably even an ordinary solar panel could power it? Fascinating.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:09 pm I've ordered one of those usb washing machine jobbies..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255311498306
Uh!
I had to check this wasn't an April 1st post.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

I wasn't really asking whether a washing machine was necessary, but what it cost to run compared to what I'm having to pay at the laundrette. From what I can see on Google it looks like the electric is about 20p and the 50 litres of water doesn't seem to cost much either. So I'm being ripped off royally at the laundrette!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well, the launderette has a lot of other expenses, but for one still to be operating these days, they probably do make a profit.

There's a joke there about money laundering, but I'm not going to make it :lol: :lol: :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

dizzydays wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:33 pm From what I can see on Google it looks like the electric is about 20p
That doesn't sound enough. According to my smartmeter it costs more than that to boil the kettle.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

dizzydays wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:33 pm I wasn't really asking whether a washing machine was necessary, but what it cost to run compared to what I'm having to pay at the laundrette. From what I can see on Google it looks like the electric is about 20p and the 50 litres of water doesn't seem to cost much either. So I'm being ripped off royally at the laundrette!
Is yours a hot and cold fill or just a cold fill?

https://www.toolstation.com/energenie-e ... lsrc=aw.ds

Program with your unit price plug in run a cycle :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

dizzydays wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:33 pm I wasn't really asking whether a washing machine was necessary, but what it cost to run compared to what I'm having to pay at the laundrette. From what I can see on Google it looks like the electric is about 20p and the 50 litres of water doesn't seem to cost much either. So I'm being ripped off royally at the laundrette!
Yes, we deviated quite quickly in this thread - it happens. :lol:

Here is some info from Ideal Home which talks about energy ratings and also washing temperature having an impact. Also, link to Energy Saving Trust for general info.

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-ad ... ine-296239

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy-at-home/
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Thanks Itsy - I don't know why I've always thought washing machines were much more expensive to run than that. I think it's all the fuss about turning things off and not running water while you brush your teeth etc. I kind of thought that a load of washing must cost pounds. You're never too old to learn eh!!

I'm moving to an oblong box :-) so my new kitchen will be extremely small, but as I'm currently paying £6 a wash in the laundrette (!) I will be making room for a machine!

DD