What would you do?

Homes and Retreats
Bijela

Re: What would you do?

Post by Bijela »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 pm Besides, I assume Asda man would look to Asda itself, or the home that places huge orders, if he got hungry.
Do you always get the same driver ?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bijela wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:18 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 pm Besides, I assume Asda man would look to Asda itself, or the home that places huge orders, if he got hungry.
Do you always get the same driver ?
No. about half a dozen different ones at random.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Well as a tradesman that does a lot of domestic work I'm not sure if I should feel insulted. We don't all go prying into people's cupboards and wardrobes unless the work involves it and anyway we have better things to do with our time. We don't all judge if someone has a lot of tins of beans , or a flash car , or questionable taste or even if the rooms are full of junk and I've come across all of that. Wardrobes and cupboards could be locked perhaps or covering with a dust sheet is acceptably normal if there's work going on.
Remove everything if you are really worried although I tend to think you are over worrying. If nothing else it may help you with rotations and stock lists because there's bound to be something you've overlooked or has gone past date.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

When I did a bit to help out. The only thing the other drivers talked about was how quick they could get the route finished. The drivers have no idea if you shop once a week or every other day.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:55 pm Well as a tradesman that does a lot of domestic work I'm not sure if I should feel insulted. We don't all go prying into people's cupboards and wardrobes unless the work involves it and anyway we have better things to do with our time.
Its the whole "bad apple" thing, though, grenfell. I experienced it myself when I was a psychotherapist - the toilet that the clients could use was only separated from my office by a curtain. The curtain implied "this is private". It was often moved slightly (along the curtain rail, I mean) by the end of a day - and I knew the couple of people who were likely to do it, and in any case, I made a practice of keeping my desk as clear as if I didn't have the curtain drawn.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 pm Not given too much thought but when Asda man comes I wonder if he thinks the small freezer and the tall fridge freezer in the garage is a bit much? We never have monster deliveries and they only see dairy go to there. Apart from lots of beer and wine brewing going on... Which does get comment, I don't feel too conspicuous . Besides, I assume Asda man would look to Asda itself, or the home that places huge orders, if he got hungry.
Am I too careless?
Answering my own question.... I don't think any of the ASDA men sees us as preppers at all. Each shop is a nominal £50 - £60 and never anything conspicuous or in bulk. It's just that the gallon of Milk and a couple of tubs of butter go in the garage fridge freezer and a few bags of veg go in a basket. I'd be surprised if he even noticed the other two modest garage freezers.
Now if I was taking delivery of a case of pasta or a case of tinned ready meals, I would expect that to register.
We are more memorable because we tip them a few pounds, which they say is unusual.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:53 pm
grenfell wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:55 pm Well as a tradesman that does a lot of domestic work I'm not sure if I should feel insulted. We don't all go prying into people's cupboards and wardrobes unless the work involves it and anyway we have better things to do with our time.
Its the whole "bad apple" thing, though, grenfell. I experienced it myself when I was a psychotherapist - the toilet that the clients could use was only separated from my office by a curtain. The curtain implied "this is private". It was often moved slightly (along the curtain rail, I mean) by the end of a day - and I knew the couple of people who were likely to do it, and in any case, I made a practice of keeping my desk as clear as if I didn't have the curtain drawn.
That one bad apple thing can apply to pretty much everyone . That one asda delivery driver who's clumsy and drops a bag , the BMW driver who doesn't use his indicators , the till girl who's grumpy or the one prepper who concentrates far too much on the zombie apocalypse tars us all as selfish gun totting right wing conspiracy nutters...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deleted. Decided overnight not to take part in discussions at the moment.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:58 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:53 pm
grenfell wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:55 pm Well as a tradesman that does a lot of domestic work I'm not sure if I should feel insulted.
Its the whole "bad apple" thing, though, grenfell.
That one bad apple thing can apply to pretty much everyone .
Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:40 am Deleted. Decided overnight not to take part in discussions at the moment.
I don't think anyone was trying to insult or judge anyone or deride any stereotype. We're just estimating the probability of getting noted as 'One of them preppers' or 'The place to go if I need some spam after the bomb drops'. There's always been a consensus here that we keep preps discreet. This is just a matter of risk benefit analysis of moving or hiding stuff from the occasional innocent tradesman.
People do judge people, often wrongly. It's human nature.
That extends to the harsh assessment that friends, neighbours, family, even ourselves could become looters if thing got bad enough. Doesn't make them or us bad people, whatever that means..

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:26 am
grenfell wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:58 am
Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:53 pm Its the whole "bad apple" thing, though, grenfell.
That one bad apple thing can apply to pretty much everyone .
Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:40 am Deleted. Decided overnight not to take part in discussions at the moment.
I don't think anyone was trying to insult or judge anyone or deride any stereotype. We're just estimating the probability of getting noted as 'One of them preppers' or 'The place to go if I need some spam after the bomb drops'. There's always been a consensus here that we keep preps discreet. This is just a matter of risk benefit analysis of moving or hiding stuff from the occasional innocent tradesman.
People do judge people, often wrongly. It's human nature.
That extends to the harsh assessment that friends, neighbours, family, even ourselves could become looters if thing got bad enough. Doesn't make them or us bad people, whatever that means..
My problem at the moment is nothing to do with that, Jenny, I completely agree with being discreet about preps.