What would you do?

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

What would you do?

Post by Medusa »

We need to have some windows replaced, one of these is a bit tricky to get to as it is a double storey over the old outhouse (now our downstairs bathroom, toilet and utility room) which is single storey, so you cant just get to it with a normal ladder. I do not want my husband replacing this even though he could due to the risks, he isn't a spring chicken anymore! The room in question is my storeroom filled with shelves of food products plus plastic buckets and boxes filled with food and a wardrobe containing other prepping items. would you cover the shelves with sheets or similar or empty the whole room and then replace everything once the window has been replaced? Husband reckons just cover everything with sheets and keep an eye on the work people, I'm not too sure for obvious reasons.
Growing old disgracefully!
GeeGee

Re: What would you do?

Post by GeeGee »

Me personally on the very safe side take the whole lot out ..not the wardrobe but the contents
You cant be staring at the workmen constantly 😂..
But all it takes is one peek and people know what you have
Yes they may think you're absolutly crackers and have a laugh about it but believe me they'd remember if it came to it when they had nothing.
Perhaps you can assess all your preps while doing it do another inventory and make it worthwhile shifting it all
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

As above. Time for a spring clean. :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:27 pm ...empty the whole room and then replace everything once the window has been replaced? Husband reckons just cover everything with sheets and keep an eye on the work people, I'm not too sure for obvious reasons.
Definitely remove and hide to the max.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yes, that's what I thought too. I am incredibly protective of my preps for obvious reasons. I keep the door shut and the roller blind closed and once we replace the door that will be lockable too. Probably need to try and get the joiner to fit the new door around the same time as the window replacement so I don't have to empty the whole room twice.
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, I'd be emptying the room. I've just had some double glazing fitted myself, and I emptied out the rooms of everything I could - the main bedroom and the living room, it took ages :lol: but it was well worth it for peace of mind.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Some years ago when we still had a mortgage,we changed lenders,and the bank sent round a surveyor. Obviously,he didn’t bat an eyelid at the walk in pantry,although he did comment that we were well stocked. :lol: However, he wanted to inspect the two brick outbuildings.I dry lined them,and in there were/are freezers ,emergency equipment,and a branch of Tesco Local :lol:

I told him that my daughter had the key,as she kept her bike in one of the buildings- the other just has “ garden tools” in it. He bought that,and I breathed a sigh of relief. No way I want anyone knowing my business.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

I too would empty my preps and hide them in another room until window is sorted🙂
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

If i ever have a tradesperson on my property i will lock any areas that they are not needing direct access to.
If they need access to somewhere that i have obvious preps/stores then i will move them somewhere else.
In my experience people talk.It may just be an innocent comment while having a drink in the pub with friends “that last job i did the guy had a room full of food and water,what a whaco “ This will stick in someone’s mind and when things get tough you become a target.

Loose lips sink ships.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Winterprep wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:39 pm It may just be an innocent comment while having a drink in the pub with friends “that last job i did the guy had a room full of food and water,what a whaco “ This will stick in someone’s mind and when things get tough you become a target.

Loose lips sink ships.
Not given too much thought but when Asda man comes I wonder if he thinks the small freezer and the tall fridge freezer in the garage is a bit much? We never have monster deliveries and they only see dairy go to there. Apart from lots of beer and wine brewing going on... Which does get comment, I don't feel too conspicuous . Besides, I assume Asda man would look to Asda itself, or the home that places huge orders, if he got hungry.
Am I too careless?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong