Hello Everyone - from sunny Bristol

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
BAbrill

Hello Everyone - from sunny Bristol

Post by BAbrill »

Evening, I am Ben I have been intrested in prepping for the last 12 years but only really started to turn those thoughts into actions about 4ish years ago. I like camping (though haven't been in what feels like forever) and am a pretty skilled cook after being a chef for 6+ years. Other skills I am working on are lockpicking (mostly because its fun) and currently studying for a HAM radio licence.

Located in the Bristol area I hope I can make a few friends and maybe even make/join a little prepper group in my area. Unfortunatly living in a smallish rented appartment with no garden theres only so much I can do but if anyone else is in a similar situation any advice or hacks you have would be useful.

Thank you and I look forward to chatting in the future :D
Arzosah

Re: Hello Everyone - from sunny Bristol

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Ben, welcome to the forum. Being a chef is definitely a good skill to have/a good collection of skills to have :) Have a think about what you most want to learn and contribute on here - as people know you, they may be more willing to meet up eventually. It takes a while to get to that stage - just keep going. There's quite a big group of ham radio enthusiasts here, for instance.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

BAbrill wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:31 pm Evening, I am Ben I have been intrested in prepping for the last 12 years but only really started to turn those thoughts into actions about 4ish years ago. I like camping (though haven't been in what feels like forever) and am a pretty skilled cook after being a chef for 6+ years. Other skills I am working on are lockpicking (mostly because its fun) and currently studying for a HAM radio licence.

Located in the Bristol area I hope I can make a few friends and maybe even make/join a little prepper group in my area. Unfortunatly living in a smallish rented appartment with no garden theres only so much I can do but if anyone else is in a similar situation any advice or hacks you have would be useful.

Thank you and I look forward to chatting in the future :D

Hi Ben, and welcome
Here's a bit of help finding your way around.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17553

You'll notice that many/most of us here are preppers with bug-in as a preference.
This thread explains why... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17555&p=204673

Some members are in the enviable position of being rural, but we also have some townies where space is at a premium. We don't tend to physically meet as to do so defeats the 'grey man' operational security of being better prepared than the next person, but discreetly.

There are threads related to space utilization, and container gardening.

Same advice I always give is to envisage some realistic scenarios and do your preps to give max bang for your buck and max flexibility. E.g. A well stocked pantry and £1000 in the house safe is handy in case of civil unrest, job loss, pandemic, fire, flood etc, but a tent is only good for camping.

Don't try to prep for everything, in that if an asteroid strikes or a nuclear war breaks out, we are all up the creek anyway.

Feel free to ask questions here and, even better, contribute your own ideas and answers.
Stay safe
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Welcome Ben, do you room in your life for an allotment.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hi Ben. I've been prepping for a couple of years or so, joined this forum recently. I live in a house with others (not relatives), so my space is limited too.
My bug out prep is pretty much complete in terms of gear. That doesn't take up much space because you have to carry it all yourself unless you are going in a group. Priority stuff is on my bedroom door - keys on paracord, seasonal clothes, thin cross-body bag with wallet, important documents & bluetooth earphones. Next to my bed is phone, torch and head torch. Bugout bag(s) are in a wardrobe. At the foot of my bed are 10 litre containers full of water. Under the bed is tins of food and 5 litre water containers. In the corner of the room is a book case with fairly tall shelves which contains water, food and bug in gear or bugout gear I would take if going in a group, eg extra stoves, fuel etc. So, quite a bit of gear just in a room that's barely wider than the length of my bed, which I have to climb over to get to the other side!
Downstairs I only really have a corner unit in the kitchen, which has a lot of hard to reach space perfect for tins and packets of food.
I bought some steel hooks which go over the top of a door. These work om my wardrobe(s) as well as bedroom and other doors, and hold a lot of stuff, a great way to maximise space (and have stuff handy).
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hiii :mrgreen:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Hi and Welcome

Small space prepping is a challenge but it can be done. We are 4 adults in a 2 bed maisonette. We are spoilt in that we have a loft and garden but storage in the living zone is at a premium. This is what we have learned

There is enough space under the kitchen cabinets to store cans if you make the plinth covers removable.
A lift up storage bed will hold a LOT.
A removable bath panel allows you to tuck 2l bottles of water (or rice) around the bath.
Others have used tubs with a top and a tablecloth to make occasional tables.
And the keep a stash of money prep really helps in so many situations and does not take much storage space at all.
BAbrill

Post by BAbrill »

Zedsdead wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:18 am Welcome Ben, do you room in your life for an allotment.
I am on the waiting list for the local allotments but its a fair old list :lol:
BAbrill

Post by BAbrill »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:17 pm Hi and Welcome

Small space prepping is a challenge but it can be done. We are 4 adults in a 2 bed maisonette. We are spoilt in that we have a loft and garden but storage in the living zone is at a premium. This is what we have learned

There is enough space under the kitchen cabinets to store cans if you make the plinth covers removable.
A lift up storage bed will hold a LOT.
A removable bath panel allows you to tuck 2l bottles of water (or rice) around the bath.
Others have used tubs with a top and a tablecloth to make occasional tables.
And the keep a stash of money prep really helps in so many situations and does not take much storage space at all.
Never thought about under the bath tub and underneath the cubbords, will have to see if if mine are removable and if so will give me a nice bit of extra space. I have already filled under the bed after a lot of convincing my partner :lol: