Hello from the South East

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ASX

Hello from the South East

Post by ASX »

Good afternoon :)

After the pandemic and then watching Ukraine's situation unfold, like many people I have started thinking about what I and my family would do in a disaster. I've been breaking it down into:
  1. What we need at home - if we stick around
  2. What we need in the van - if we leave
  3. What we need in bug out bags - if we have to abandon the van
  4. What we need in our pockets - if we have to leave our bags
However, I'm looking to put it to the test, and see how I would get on in a survival situation!
jansman

Re: Hello from the South East

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Remember that most crises don’t mean ‘bugging out’ - and unless you have a solid place that you are entitled to go to in the UK, it’s not a viable proposition ( in my opinion). The REAL problems are likely to be being made redundant, a power cut , the water going off or being told you have cancer.

I am sure you have other reasons to prep?

Dive in , look around, ask questions.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Thanks, Jansman - yes, I think you are right. Most likely it'll be sticking at home, or travelling to another house. That said, most stuff in my BOB is stuff that I use anyway, just good to have it all in one place :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ASX wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:10 pm Good afternoon :)

After the pandemic and then watching Ukraine's situation unfold, like many people I have started thinking about what I and my family would do in a disaster. ...

However, I'm looking to put it to the test, and see how I would get on in a survival situation!

Hi and welcome
Here's a bit of help finding your way around.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17553

You'll notice that many/most of us here are preppers with bug-in as a preference.
This thread explains why... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17555&p=204673

But, by even considering preparedness, you are ahead in the game. It doesn't need to be a preparedness for a total SHTF situation, it could be as simple as prepping for the car breaking down.

You are wise to consider testing your plans. Lockdown was a useful dress rehearsal.

Same advice I always give is to envisage some realistic scenarios and do your preps to give max bang for your buck and max flexibility. E.g. A well stocked pantry and £1000 in the house safe is handy in case of civil unrest, job loss, pandemic, fire, flood etc, but a tent is only good for camping.

Don't try to prep for everything, in that if an asteroid strikes or a nuclear war breaks out, we are all up the creek anyway.

Feel free to ask questions here and, even better, contribute your own ideas and answers.
Stay safe
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
BAbrill

Post by BAbrill »

Welcome, I'm still new here but there is a lot of usefull information around :)

I have a BOB but personally the best thing I started doing is having an every day carry bag with me with the essentals to get home from where ever I am, it has been so useful to have extra food, water, first aid and a few tools on me at all times. I would say I use something from my EDC at least 2 or 3 times a week and might be a good place to start when it comes to what you carry in your pockets. Its only a little sachel bag I use so its easy to take on public transport.