Solid fuel price warning

Homes and Retreats
British Red

Solid fuel price warning

Post by British Red »

Email today from our local coal company. Make of it what you will

"Due to the current economic situation, the cost of all fuels is increasing at an unprecedented rate.
We have now received notice from our main suppliers that they will be increasing their fuel prices from the 1st May 2022 by at least £90 per tonne. We expect to see further increases heading into the Winter months.
Therefore, we are contacting our customers to urge you to stock up on your Winter fuel now, before these increases come into effect. We will be maintaining our current prices until Midnight on Saturday 7th May, but this is only whilst stocks last."
jansman

Re: Solid fuel price warning

Post by jansman »

That’s no surprise at all. I am amazed it took this long to be honest. I am stacking firewood like there’s no tomorrow, so a price increase for coal justifies my efforts. It is what it is.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Kind of them to announce the increase.

The possibility to make a mint on old coal sold at new prices must of crossed their minds.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:37 pm Kind of them to announce the increase.

The possibility to make a mint on old coal sold at new prices must of crossed their minds.
Not wishing to sound naïve :D I find solid fuel merchants to be old school : they trade fairly- or at least the ones I have used do.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:59 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:37 pm Kind of them to announce the increase.

Not wishing to sound naïve :D I find solid fuel merchants to be old school : they trade fairly- or at least the ones I have used do.
Not naive at all. It's just the cynic in me tbh.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Thanks for that mine hasn't mentioned it so will be stocking and storing
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

i know for a few oak limbs that have come down so will be getting them in tomorrow with the help of one of my sons(though he dont know that yet)
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
British Red

Post by British Red »

They do round here - happy to fill up the old folks bunkers and say "oh this sack is split, I won't charge for it". It's a poor county though, we don't take kindly to rip off merchants. One local store put up all it's prices during lockdown panic buying. Word got around. The shop is deserted now. It will be sold soon. Flip side is during the last big snow the local chip shop drove up to the main road with hundreds of kilos of free chips for stranded motorists. He's never quiet. It's a funny old place, but treats people right who look after others.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

British Red wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 pm

They do round here - happy to fill up the old folks bunkers and say "oh this sack is split, I won't charge for it". It's a poor county though, we don't take kindly to rip off merchants. One local store put up all it's prices during lockdown panic buying. Word got around. The shop is deserted now. It will be sold soon. Flip side is during the last big snow the local chip shop drove up to the main road with hundreds of kilos of free chips for stranded motorists. He's never quiet. It's a funny old place, but treats people right who look after others.
Salt of the Earth.
British Red

Post by British Red »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 pm
Salt of the Earth.
We tell a joke that as you pass the sign saying "Welcome to Lincolnshire" there should be another saying "Welcome to the 1950s" ;)

Like any place it has its problems, but it's lovely to say that there is still a solid feeling of "poor but honest" here. We still have cafes with a huge £5 fry up (bread and butter plus pot of tea included), waitress service, in pinnies with melamine tables. We still have proper markets too!