Solid fuel price warning

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Solid fuel price warning

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 pm
diamond lil wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:44 pm Would it spoil my tough image if I said I just want to climb in the box with Beegles and NEVER COME OUT? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No. When our cats come in,I’ll show a picture too. They have just gone out hunting. Who knows what I’ll find at 5 am?

Friends woke up the other year to a muntjack fawn the maincoon went big :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:17 pm Ooo that woudl be nice, I like cat pics. If beeglie ever saw a mouse she'd scream and run up my leg :mrgreen:
Cats got the right idea a box is made for sits and is made of warm :mrgreen: I put card down at work on the concrete if my feet start to get cold it works might get one of these for the lounge this winter and paint it camo then fight the 5 yo and the cats for occupancy :lol:
Screenshot_20220506-222522.png

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Now there's an idea for keeping kids and preppers happy and occupied during times of lockdown or laying low - the wife might like it and you could do all the floors in the house :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brilliant :lol: I needed all this. Jansman, I'd still like a pic of your cat. And omg, Y/Andy, did your friends ever get a picture of that muntjac?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:20 am Brilliant :lol: I needed all this. Jansman, I'd still like a pic of your cat. And omg, Y/Andy, did your friends ever get a picture of that muntjac?
No fortunately the cat couldn't get it through the cat flap so my friends didn't wake to it been dropped on their bed :lol:

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Cardboard is amazing stuff for warmth. Many years ago the local youth group did an overnight "sleep out" to raise funds for a homeless charity. They turned up with sleeping bags and were both puzzled and jealous when the charity leader climbed into a carboard box "bed" and proceeded to get a reasonably warm night's sleep while they all shivered.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:20 am Brilliant :lol: I needed all this. Jansman, I'd still like a pic of your cat. And omg, Y/Andy, did your friends ever get a picture of that muntjac?
I have tried twice, and I don’t seem to be able. At the moment. Sadly, our older Tom got whacked by a car last night. Mrs J took him to the vet this morning. He is ok, just bad bruising/ sprain. Consultation, x ray , painkillers, nearly 200 quid! :o
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We get all sorts of live/ dead stock in the living room. Fortunately I am up early , so I discover everything from starlings, pigeons, mice, frogs ( they are always live) and even fish!
6585FA50-7AEA-4A0F-B3DF-86619A7897FA.jpeg
The above is Eric, the main hunter/ killer, and the one who cost us money today. When I see him, I’ll get a picture of Stan , the younger Tom cat.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thank you for indulging me, that's very kind :D

Eric looks like he's given that knitted duck a proper beating :D

Dragging the thread back to solid fuel - well, to insulation, anyway, my plan for the summer is to use what I've got to insulate. My loft, and my cavity wall insulation, are up to snuff, but underfloor are a *lot* of airbricks, with floorboards with wide gaps sitting on the joists, and only a layer of vinyl and some underlay protecting me.

I have *big* pieces of leftover vinyl, which I can tape together to lay under a kilim. The kilim needs it's corners flattened though, maybe reinforced with canvas so they'll lie flat? And I may fill in about 30% of the air brick holes, there really are too many of them.

After that, we'll see what's next.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:15 pm Thank you for indulging me, that's very kind :D

Eric looks like he's given that knitted duck a proper beating :D

Dragging the thread back to solid fuel - well, to insulation, anyway, my plan for the summer is to use what I've got to insulate. My loft, and my cavity wall insulation, are up to snuff, but underfloor are a *lot* of airbricks, with floorboards with wide gaps sitting on the joists, and only a layer of vinyl and some underlay protecting me.

I have *big* pieces of leftover vinyl, which I can tape together to lay under a kilim. The kilim needs it's corners flattened though, maybe reinforced with canvas so they'll lie flat? And I may fill in about 30% of the air brick holes, there really are too many of them.

After that, we'll see what's next.
Be careful about blocking air bricks. Houses need to breathe, and without airflow, you can get damp, mould and even rot. We were not meant to live in sealed boxes. My dear wife has windows open in January!

Robert Frost.

Me.