Solid fuel price warning

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

Re: Solid fuel price warning

Post by diamond lil »

I really don't like wood -found coal burns a lot hotter and is less work. But not any more, no stove now :(
British Red

Post by British Red »

Medusa wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:08 pm Ordered a load of wood today from an alternative supplier to supplement what we get for free including the cherry tree we cut down a few weeks ago which is happily seasoning in the garden and wont be ready for this winter. One of our stoves is multi fuel, the other just a wood burner and with the price of oil remaining high want to ensure that we have enough solid fuel for next winter. Currently in conversation with husband who isn't agreeing with my need for coal so will likely order some anyway, he will thank me in winter.
Wood is more sustainable and much cheaper for us because the wood itself is often free. The tools to process it are actually quite expensive though and of course wood takes up a lot of space and needs seasoning and processing

Coal is space efficient, time efficient but more polluting and more costly (to us).

There's no real "right answer"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Agreed.Coal packs a punch,because of its dense calorific value.We burn both coal and wood,and wood does take a lot of space and work.I’ll take some work though,for the independence it gives us. Our form of heating wouldn’t suit a lot of people I’ll grant you,but the cost is now largely covered for Winter 22/23 now. A good thing ,as there are now murmurs of another 40% hike on the energy cap. :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think it's maybe time to move house again :shock: :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:11 am I think it's maybe time to move house again :shock: :shock:
Everything,fuel- wise, is expensive. At least you and hubby are not having to haul coal every day,and I am sure your central heating system is easier for you?

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Much easier JM, but if it goes off then it goes off... the coal fire was on 24/7 for most of the year apart from real heatwaves, and the walls were brick and retained the heat. I thought it was better going modern but now I'm not so sure :mrgreen: :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:45 pm Much easier JM, but if it goes off then it goes off... the coal fire was on 24/7 for most of the year apart from real heatwaves, and the walls were brick and retained the heat. I thought it was better going modern but now I'm not so sure :mrgreen: :lol:
You are where you are.Trust me,coal is a damned expensive fuel now.Gas will be the last thing to go off,because of safety issues. You are a lady who has seen tough time- I know that. You and hubby know how to look after yourselves; you are like me and the Duchess. :lol: You are both tough Scots,and you can show youngsters a thing or two,I’m sure.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Would it spoil my tough image if I said I just want to climb in the box with Beegles and NEVER COME OUT? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
AFACE.jpg
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:44 pm Would it spoil my tough image if I said I just want to climb in the box with Beegles and NEVER COME OUT? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No. When our cats come in,I’ll show a picture too. They have just gone out hunting. Who knows what I’ll find at 5 am?

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ooo that woudl be nice, I like cat pics. If beeglie ever saw a mouse she'd scream and run up my leg :mrgreen: