Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

How are you preparing
Bijela

Re: Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Post by Bijela »

I look at it this way. I wouldn't want to be the lead of any group. But, also I wouldn't want to be bottom of the pile either. I ca weld and grow food. I would like to think I've watch loads of videos that I could help create a (I can't think what you call it. You' have fish in 1 tank then that feeds the plants which then drains in to the alge tank to feed the fish) among other things. I can weld and did some motor engineering at college.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'm one of the jack of all trades masters of none I can scratt by plumbing / car mechanics / electrics both mains and 12v, got a good knowledge of caravans and tractors / mobile plant / hydraulics / pumping systems/ groundwork / concreting / gardening

On the subject of alliance we have had issues on our allotments lately kids been shuts one shed broken into they've been on mine but did nothing but leave me a spade that's not mine :/

Had fire and plod out last night as someone had lit a fire behind the allotments straight out the house offering keys to access the site to make access easier shits had set fire to the embankment behind, plod beat fire to to the job and put it out with the extinguisher from the van both returned coughing their guts up good old dry powder I did offer the allotment hose pipe :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Bee keeping is something that could be vital as your own crops won't grow well without them. Was thinking of putting a hive in my parents woodland. This was till is spoke to a bee keeper who said the bees won't like the lower temperature of the woods.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Blacksmith (not farrier)
Welder (Gas, MIG/MAG and Arc)
General metalworker and fabricator (limited experience with casting )
Rough carpenter (stage sets and props)
Sharpener (axes, knives, planes, chisels, scissors, drill bits and learning saws)
Archer (made own arrows and crossbows)
Muzzle loader...... I'm not going to say any more 'coz of Rules :twisted:
Bushcrafter.
Wire a socket spur and other simple electrics
Fix dripping taps and plumb in a bathroom
I can run a sewing machine well enough to make curtains, tents and costume
I can dig foundations, mix concrete, lay bricks (it'll be an ugly wall though), render and plaster (poorly), frame a simple roof and slate or pan-tile the same, lay a concrete or brick floor, hang a door and glaze windows...... All these good enough for a shed but probably not up to the level of Barrett Homes

I read everything and anything..... And it quite often sticks
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Mixed bag here.
I can't see that the IT engineer skills would be any use but you never know.
Cooking from scratch and some knowledge of simple catering at scale.
Food preservation and an understanding of the scientific principles behind how jams, jellies, chutneys, dehydration and fermentation keep food safely.
Gardening including seed saving and propagation.
Sewing and repairing clothes & other textiles both with and without a sewing machine.
Small scale metalwork - copper/silversmithing metal casting
A general interest in "traditional skills" from paleolithic onwards. (But not much practice...)
An interest in herbal medicines with a list of tested family remedies that keep us from needing the GP for day to day stuff.

DH would add
musical entertainment
Musical instrument repair/making
Smaller scale woodwork (on healthy days)
Knife-making
Flint knapping
Sharpening tools and knives
General bodging - simple electrical, plumbing etc
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bijela wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 pm I would like to think I've watch loads of videos that I could help create a (I can't think what you call it. You' have fish in 1 tank then that feeds the plants which then drains in to the alge tank to feed the fish) among other things.
Aqua culture.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 pm
Bijela wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 pm I would like to think I've watch loads of videos that I could help create a (I can't think what you call it. You' have fish in 1 tank then that feeds the plants which then drains in to the alge tank to feed the fish) among other things.
Aqua culture.
Doomsday Preppers did a show about 2 blokes doing it. Both systems were different. From what I remember 1 was little work, but was a fixed system. The other needed a bit more work, but you could disconnect parts if it leaked. You could scale it down to just keep the fish. I don't know if the fish could live in a pond. I may have to watch it again.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

There are lots of variations on aquaculture. Fish waste is very good plant food.
It all boils down to fish in one container eating some of the vegetables in the other container and the vegetable container sucking the nutrients (i.e. fish waste) out of the fish water so it can be returned to the fish.
On the very smallest scale this mught be a floating tray of hydroponic lettuce with fish underneath. Larger scale could include pumps to move the water between multiple tanks. Or you have the giant low tech floating vegetable gardens the Aztecs called Chinampas but also used in Bangladesh and Myanmar.
All food for thought.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I have always been that sort of "good all rounder" from school to working career. I am very much in the mind set of I'll have a go if someone can show me how all the better. I am a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of gal, though these days as age creeps up, this monkey has to see it several times then do it several times before she's any good :lol:

Soooo in a major event:
I am a first aider both paediatric and outdoor first aid.
I am good with kids - so can keep those occupied in a community situation
If clothes fall apart, I can have a go at hand stitching. It won't be pretty but it will be serviceable.
I have a little experience in outdoor cooking - and know basics about preserving foods.
A little bushcraft experience from forest school knowledge and various workshops such as willow weaving and outdoor knife use.
If the shed falls apart, I can bang some nails into some wood and patch it up. If a window breaks, I'd think of something to seal up the gap.
I have an allotment and grow some stuff. If I was able to dedicate more time to it like during the pandemic, my food production would be better.
I have watched lots of survival and homestead programs, and lots of history programs so hopefully some of that knowledge will have stuck.

Oh and hopefully some of what I have learnt on this forum will have sunk into my brain and come to the rescue when needed! During a major event, I would happily trade my time helping as an extra pair of hands, someone knowledgeable fixing/doing something, so that I could learn from them.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:24 pm Blacksmith (not farrier)
Welder (Gas, MIG/MAG and Arc)
General metalworker and fabricator (limited experience with casting )
Rough carpenter (stage sets and props)
Sharpener (axes, knives, planes, chisels, scissors, drill bits and learning saws)
Archer (made own arrows and crossbows)
Muzzle loader...... I'm not going to say any more 'coz of Rules :twisted:
Bushcrafter.
Wire a socket spur and other simple electrics
Fix dripping taps and plumb in a bathroom
I can run a sewing machine well enough to make curtains, tents and costume
I can dig foundations, mix concrete, lay bricks (it'll be an ugly wall though), render and plaster (poorly), frame a simple roof and slate or pan-tile the same, lay a concrete or brick floor, hang a door and glaze windows...... All these good enough for a shed but probably not up to the level of Barrett Homes

I read everything and anything..... And it quite often sticks
From what I've seen of most of the new houses round me I think I'd rather have you build my walls....

I'd say advanced first aid but much of what I can do it limited by the resources available to me. If All I have is a bandage I'm not much more capable than a Scout who's done their first aid badge.
Welder (Mig. limited TIG, my stick welding would embarrass a pigeon but it's functional with a bit of practice)
Could probably cast in a pinch but not done it for years
Can blacksmith a bit
Out of practice archer, shooter
Can muzzle load but I'm not sure what use 3 shots a minute out of a cannon would be.
Carpenter
Gardener (ish)
Basic plumbing
Happy to tackle most things really but I don't touch mains electrics or roofing.