Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:51 am
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:40 am We are fortunate ( mind you we did decide to live here for this very reason 30+ years ago) to live in the community we were born in. God himself knows we had to sell our souls ( almost ) to buy this property in our native village! How we did it…

We live in a community though.
Jansman,
Your community sounds like a great rural place to be after TSHTF. I know you have 'defensive resources and strategies' and some good neighbours, but would you all be in danger of getting swamped or invaded by coachloads of townies bugging out or scouting for a village to 'adopt'. Imagine the sheer numbers of refugees or itinerant looting gangs that could reach you, and some would be equipped to invade. I'm not thinking immediately in a crisis, but say a month in to the point where townies start to starve and all those unwise bug outers head your way. Actually, I'm also thinking of a specific strata of society that already have a nomadic existence. Even 'the authorities' might get the idea of billeting your area.
Who knows? Even in this ‘chocolate box village’ as an OFSTED inspector said to my wife, there are undesirable people. There always have been. One just has to adapt to the given situation I guess. I certainly won’t worry about The Golden Hordes as the American survivalist James Wesley Rawles calls them.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:26 am Who knows? Even in this ‘chocolate box village’ as an OFSTED inspector said to my wife, there are undesirable people. There always have been. One just has to adapt to the given situation I guess. I certainly won’t worry about The Golden Hordes as the American survivalist James Wesley Rawles calls them.
I've figured it..... I've geolocated you. You live in one of the small villages in the County of Midsomer : Murder capital of England.

But seriously. Who knows what we will need to adapt to. We just need to develop adaptability.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha :lol: ‘adapt ‘is my watchword. To be fair, one must have situational awareness at all times. I’ve just loaded up my car with my work gear for tomorrow, and there was a ‘yoof’ with a face mask on and hood up, looking into every garden and car. My wife’s motor is parked four doors down, and he was having a good look round it. Definitely up to no ble*ding good! I told him to p*ss off in short order. He just turned and ambled off.

There’s ALWAYS someone up to no good. :(

Robert Frost.

Me.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

It must be nice you live in a nice place with handy neighbours. Unfortunately the next road to me is full people who probably don't have food to last a couple of days. I'm still hunting for a field within my 10 minute window.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bijela wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 pm It must be nice you live in a nice place with handy neighbours. Unfortunately the next road to me is full people who probably don't have food to last a couple of days. I'm still hunting for a field within my 10 minute window.
Trust me, that’s my immediate neighbours, but there are lots around here like yours. This is no utopia. It’s just not urban.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If you read any of the bloggers who have survived a SHTF situation - e.g Selco, Ferfal et al they all say the same thing. Be VERY careful who you trade with and how. People they previously considered trustworthy were revealed as scumbags and even helping a trusted relative could lead to a "visit" from unfriendlies if they let on where their help came from.
Trading skills has the advantage that keeping you & your tools in one piece is a good idea if they might need your help in future.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:13 pm If you read any of the bloggers who have survived a SHTF situation - e.g Selco, Ferfal et al they all say the same thing. Be VERY careful who you trade with and how. People they previously considered trustworthy were revealed as scumbags and even helping a trusted relative could lead to a "visit" from unfriendlies if they let on where their help came from.
Trading skills has the advantage that keeping you & your tools in one piece is a good idea if they might need your help in future.
We are all just a few missed meals away from being scumbags. Form alliances early on though in spite of reserves. Easier to fortify a street than a house. But the street will likely have a few scumbags ready to take advantage. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

So going back to the title. Let’s list skills. I chipped in with that earlier. We all have something to offer, for sure.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:53 pm So going back to the title. Let’s list skills. I chipped in with that earlier. We all have something to offer, for sure.
Not sure that was the objective.
Though I feel adaptable and useful I'm hard pressed to do a prepper CV.
I can make meals from very little.
I can make alcohol
I can think ahead. That gives me resources
I can navigate.
I can make a mean spreadsheet
I can almost grow some food.
I can do basic first aid
Everything else.... I can but try

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:27 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:53 pm So going back to the title. Let’s list skills. I chipped in with that earlier. We all have something to offer, for sure.
Not sure that was the objective.
Though I feel adaptable and useful I'm hard pressed to do a prepper CV.
I can make meals from very little.
I can make alcohol
I can think ahead. That gives me resources
I can navigate.
I can make a mean spreadsheet
I can almost grow some food.
I can do basic first aid
Everything else.... I can but try
It doesn’t have to be a prepper CV. It’s what you can do now. Transferable skills.

Robert Frost.

Me.