Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

How are you preparing
Bijela

Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Post by Bijela »

Shame there's doesn't really seem 1 place to post the Questions for everyone to find. Everyone plans for different events. So, even if this is beyond your plans. Here's the situation..

An event happens and we are all on our own. Have you planned just to be able to feed/water your household or have you looked at what you could offer/trade ?

For example could you have a power generation source so you could trade charging mobile phones which are now only used as a torch.
jansman

Re: Q4 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Post by jansman »

All of the above.And more.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bijela wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:59 pm Everyone plans for different events.
Not sure I fully agree. We may anticipate different events, but the general plan is to be ahead of our peers when the unexpected happens, long enough to review, regroup and reconsider, rather than be crushed by events. Being sociable and willing to trade is on an 'as appropriate' basis. And knowing when it's appropriate would only come with the post event assessment.
At some point, either the event passes, or we need to be in the strong gang. One can cope alone if the event is expected to resolve itself.
An event happens and we are all on our own. Have you planned just to be able to feed/water your household or have you looked at what you could offer/trade ?

For example could you have a power generation source so you could trade charging mobile phones which are now only used as a torch.
Goes to OPSEC and being the grey man. Revealing one's extra resources to the extent of trading and sharing them is a phase to be ventured into tentatively. All depends on the event, but I'd expect venturing into any kind of new community spirit would be a leap of faith held back or entered into only with those we see as useful allies. Just as we might bug in until looting parties started to descend, we might hunker down until some of our weaker resource competitors had died off.
So...... Yes to cooperation and trading, but with cards held very close to ones chest. Certainly have skills and goods to trade, but value them at tomorrows value. None of us really expects to live out their days on what they have set aside. Rather, we have set aside some stuff to give us a buffer.

Help to build a well: Yes
Reveal you have a Water stockpile: No
Help to run a soup kitchen: Yes
Reveal you have a Soup stockpile: No
etc.

Some preppers might be straight onto their prepper buddies jumping into a teamwork and sharing frenzy. I'd hesitate. Some of us/them are ruthless. :)
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I know 'stuff' and I have a selection of tools that enable me to do 'stuff', I can trade (or even gift) my abilities without revealing my 401 tins of beans.

Tell people I have a ham radio, a generator or the only working car in Norfolk...... No way
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm I know 'stuff' and I have a selection of tools that enable me to do 'stuff', I can trade (or even gift) my abilities without revealing my 401 tins of beans.

Tell people I have a ham radio, a generator or the only working car in Norfolk...... No way
Note to self: Forgecorvus has Beans, a ham radio, a generator, a car and lives in Norfolk.
To be confirmed, Are they Branston? Callsign? Generator capacity? and Full location. Onto it.
Not a priority as similarly resourced to self.
On my list, but just a few lines down from those members with guns, homesteads, Onions, Chickens and unlimited water (You know who you are :) )
Decisions, decisions: Locate and align with them, having little to offer in return.... or Stealth invasion, take them down and adopt their possessions.... No brainer!
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:33 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm I know 'stuff' and I have a selection of tools that enable me to do 'stuff', I can trade (or even gift) my abilities without revealing my 401 tins of beans.

Note to self: Forgecorvus has Beans, a ham radio, a generator, a car and lives in Norfolk.
To be confirmed, Are they Branston? Callsign? Generator capacity? and Full location. Onto it.
Not a priority as similarly resourced to self.
On my list, but just a few lines down from those members with guns, homesteads, Onions, Chickens and unlimited water (You know who you are :) )
Some of the above is mentioned as examples of desirable resources :|

I can not confirm or deny the brand or quantity of my beans [/disclaimer]
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:47 pm Some of the above is mentioned as examples of desirable resources :|

Can't confirm........ Oh, I don't know... Your preference is Branston!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17230&p=199580&hilit=beans#p199580

Whoa! That was creepy!

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:47 pm Some of the above is mentioned as examples of desirable resources :|

Can't confirm........ Oh, I don't know... Your preference is Branston!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17230&p=199580&hilit=beans#p199580

Whoa! That was creepy!
I better not catch you nicking my rubbish :P
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are fortunate ( mind you we did decide to live here for this very reason 30+ years ago) to live in the community we were born in. God himself knows we had to sell our souls ( almost ) to buy this property in our native village! How we did it…

We live in a community though. My immediate neighbour is a barber. Next along a fitness instructor/ bouncer. The loveliest neighbour we have actually. Then there are two builders. A retired nurse and mechanic. We have a general Handyman out there too. The nurse shoots and fishes. So does one of the builders. If they/ I are short of fishing tackle, there’s always a door to knock on. Those two are also avid gardeners. One of them ran out of 3” plant pots yesterday. No problem, as I have loads.

The other day I swapped 6 eggs for a small box of 40 m screws with my 90 year old former bricklayer neighbour. He has a shed full off stuff and INSISTS I see him first before buying consumables. I also insist we trade. I have known him and his wife since I was a boy.His wife is a seamstress bar none. She and my wife trade materials/ thread/ wool etc. as my wife is handy with all that too - and that’s an understatement!

For this little neighbourhood, it wouldn’t be a case of revealing your stores and such. It’s just a shout over the wall ,”I don’t suppose you have x,y or z do you?” and go on from there.

As for skills, aside from my own profession, I am a rather good carpenter, passable brick/ stone worker, fair gardener, very good angler, reasonable shot and I can fix the slates on my roof. I can do basic electrical jobs, and very basic plumbing- but I can get us by in a pinch. First aid qualified, and so is my wife -so we can take care of each other in an emergency. In fact, during lockdown we were eating and talking, and I choked. Really choked! Her training kicked in, and two really hard thumps between the shoulder blades, and up it came!

I think any of us, if we sit and have a think, have a surprising amount of varied skills to offer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:40 am We are fortunate ( mind you we did decide to live here for this very reason 30+ years ago) to live in the community we were born in. God himself knows we had to sell our souls ( almost ) to buy this property in our native village! How we did it…

We live in a community though.
Jansman,
Your community sounds like a great rural place to be after TSHTF. I know you have 'defensive resources and strategies' and some good neighbours, but would you all be in danger of getting swamped or invaded by coachloads of townies bugging out or scouting for a village to 'adopt'. Imagine the sheer numbers of refugees or itinerant looting gangs that could reach you, and some would be equipped to invade. I'm not thinking immediately in a crisis, but say a month in to the point where townies start to starve and all those unwise bug outers head your way. Actually, I'm also thinking of a specific strata of society that already have a nomadic existence. Even 'the authorities' might get the idea of billeting your area.