Thermals

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jennyjj01

Re: Thermals

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:51 am Thanks everybody will go and lookat all of these. Is just for sitting in the house this winter, I couldn't be assed with loads of throws and shawls and covers, prefer proper warm clothes instead.
This thread is an eye-opener to someone who never considered owning proper thermals. Just ordinary vest tops, jumpers and a thick coat for outside and long gown and PJs for inside. We're 'proper nesh carrots' and have the home heating on at 21C all year round and if it's cold outside, we stay inside. It's never allowed to be cold inside. None of your winter sports here! No pottering in the garden if its cold. Not even many shopping trips in winter. Gas and Electricity bills are huge. Spoilt!

Take our gas away and we would be up the creek. There are vagrants in doorways with more warm clothes than our entire wardrobe. We have no prep for the cold. Very little prep for any kind of gas outage. My god how we take warmth for granted! This is a prepping blind spot.

As kids we both lived in homes without central heating and indeed no heating at all upstairs. Nowadays social services would be taking kids away for less.
https://www.cse.org.uk/advice/advice-an ... and-health

So, time to look into this. I think this is going to be a hard topic to broach.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have always worked in the cold ,fished and hunted in the Winter too. Proper long johns and thermal t shirt have always been in my wardrobe. Thin fleeces are a modern boon too. I prefer them to woolly jumpers. I am bald headed, so a wool hat is a given. My DPM baseball caps, Winter or Summer are my trademark locally. :lol: Decent socks too. In the real cold, I will wear two thin pairs. It’s all about a series of thin layers.

This year I renewed my Winter fishing clothes. Skeetex brand thermal wellies - £60 WELL spent. Then a Danish made Pro Logic fishing coat, with bib and brace trousers. Waterproof and so warm it’s unbelievable, and in some foul weather too. A real game changer for outdoors.

That said, you don’t need branded kit to stay warm in the domestic environment. Thin layers.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I just figured if the SAS can survive in a snow hole in the arctic with the proper gear then maybe I can manage in a cold house for short periods :mrgreen: I think more folk will be doing this right now too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:47 pm I just figured if the SAS can survive in a snow hole in the arctic with the proper gear then maybe I can manage in a cold house for short periods :mrgreen: I think more folk will be doing this right now too.
Many of us have lived without central heating :lol: We wore clothes. Watch a programme like Downton Abbey. They all wore proper clothes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I can recommend the M&S thermal leggings which were a bacon saver a few years ago when the heating failed at work. I went from shivering all day long to toasty and happy despite a distinctly cool office. A cheaper alternative that many women already own is basic leggings which are thin enough to wear under a pair of joggers or jeans. I have now taken to buying these instead to avoid turning the heating up. (My WFH office usually runs at 17C)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I bought two long sleeved Merino base layer tops from Mountain Warehouse on Ebay two winters ago, I liked them so much I got another lot this year (some of which are squirrelled away).

I gave away all of my other thermals because they just don't compare.

I can't wear long johns because they irritate my calves, so I tend to use joggers as an under layer
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:56 pm We wore clothes. Watch a programme like Downton Abbey. They all wore proper clothes.
What? Indoors? Even on the days without an ASDA delivery? Why? :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:19 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:56 pm We wore clothes. Watch a programme like Downton Abbey. They all wore proper clothes.
What? Indoors? Even on the days without an ASDA delivery? Why? :lol:
What if the gas man turns up unannounced ... Suppose scaring him off will mean he won't read the meter :twisted: :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:51 am Thanks everybody will go and lookat all of these. Is just for sitting in the house this winter, I couldn't be assed with loads of throws and shawls and covers, prefer proper warm clothes instead.
always handy to have a few throws in the airing cupboard though lil...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:04 pm
always handy to have a few throws in the airing cupboard though lil...

One of my favourites is the snugpak jungle XL blanket

Small light to pack / store put it this way we camped with the kids over Easter wife was in a 4 season bag and was cold... I had the jungle blanket and bar at about 4am when my leg was hanging out I was comfortable wouldn't say red hot but I slept happy enough
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine