Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

For want of a Nail

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Well, sorta...

I just came across this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO7MyAMCciA

And it got me thinking
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Re: For want of a Nail

Post by jansman »

What an excellent and fascinating clip. Thank you. :D

I thought it might be a link to this: https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk/2022 ... of-a-nail/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Enjoyed that
Thank you.

I only ever bought nails and few times in my whole life as I would always remove them from scrap wood for the fire .
Screws too best one are in my opinion the type for chip board as they have deep ridges for gripping the wood chip .
Fill er up jacko...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I'm glad of following on the tradition of "burning the house down to collect the nails" or in modern parlance throwing them into a quality street tin my Dad had to collect his.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am I'm glad of following on the tradition of "burning the house down to collect the nails" or in modern parlance throwing them into a quality street tin my Dad had to collect his.
i wish i could figure out how to post photos(hopeless at that type of thing),but i do have at least one old quality street tin full of 3in nails in one of the sheds,i used to watch my taid as a kid remove nails from timbers,straighten them out and put them into tins,to use again and as i grew up i realised things like that where hard to get hold of during ww2 and that's why he never wasted anything
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Rusty74 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:02 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am I'm glad of following on the tradition of "burning the house down to collect the nails" or in modern parlance throwing them into a quality street tin my Dad had to collect his.
i wish i could figure out how to post photos(hopeless at that type of thing),but i do have at least one old quality street tin full of 3in nails in one of the sheds,i used to watch my taid as a kid remove nails from timbers,straighten them out and put them into tins,to use again and as i grew up i realised things like that where hard to get hold of during ww2 and that's why he never wasted anything
How about jar lids nailed/screwed under the shelves? Got that habit from my Dad too. :lol:
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm
How about jar lids nailed/screwed under the shelves? Got that habit from my Dad too. :lol:
now thats one iv never heard of and a handy tip,thanks for that
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Rusty74 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:30 pm
pseudonym wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm

now thats one iv never heard of and a handy tip,thanks for that
Whilst looking for a generic picture I came across this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1118948 ... _MQAvD_BwE

Similar concept but not the same cost as a screw. :shock:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

30 odd years in restoration and I've got the odd tin or two of old nails along with an assortment of blacksmith made brackets and so on. Many I've had for years and no real idea if I'll ever use some . I have found the wrought iron nails vary in quality quite a bit. Some remain ductile and can be clenched but some just snap to reveal the crystalline structure inside. Smaller nails seem to have been harder to find which is a pity seeing as they are often the most useful. They did use large quantities fixing plastering lath but I reckon the lime plaster has been detremental to them over the years.
In restoration we tended to just use stainless steel fixings and I do tend to only chuck them in the scrap if they are really buggered. Pozidrive stainless screws are easy to chew up and there's very little that can be rescued when that happens but on the other hand I've used stainless screws and seen the wood rot ( not the fault of the screw) and thus be easy to recover in nearly new condition. Before that I've been known to straighten common steel round wire nails , got that off my father and he had the jars suspended under shelves too. He also had jars of rusty bent nails that were to be straightened "at some time" but never were. Talking to a friend after his father died he said that he found tins of bolts without nuts and tins of nuts that didn't fit those bolts. He also had a bucket of roofing nails , the short broad headed type for nailing felt but all ungalvanised. My friend ended up chucking a lot of stuff.
The current trend and one that's been around for sometime is the increased use of nail guns. The larger nails can be used by hand but many of the second fix guns use really thin pins that defy being straightened and reused.