Cooking oil shortages

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Cooking oil shortages

Post by jansman »

I’ve just seen this: Sunflower oil substitutes named by food watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61271558

It seems we will be using blended oils?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Cooking oil shortages

Post by pseudonym »

Much like the egg boxes that still say Free Range but have "Barn Eggs" in small letters. It pays to read the labelling.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:15 pm Much like the egg boxes that still say Free Range but have "Barn Eggs" in small letters. It pays to read the labelling.
Apparently, the ‘allergens will be limited’. As a worker in the food industry, that statement from the government that tells us we have to label, label , label, or we can be prosecuted :roll: is a total contradiction.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Which is why the front page of the online shopping sites now have prominent warnings like this Sainsbury's one:
"Customer Information: Due to the current conflict in Ukraine it may be necessary to substitute sunflower oil for other oils in some products."
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

No vegetable oil or sunflower oil in Aldi yesterday some of the more expensive olive oils in stock with added flavours.
Fill er up jacko...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Welcome to the enforced low fat diet.

Sainsury's online is now pushing spray oil - most of which also contain water. alcohol, emulsifier and xanthan gum. If you want a liquid oil then it is only available in quantities of 500ml or less with the exception of olive oil and KTC groundnut or vegetable oil. The KTC vegetable oil 5l still seems to be available but this is probably because all the reviews posted on the site say it tastes awful and contains an anti-foaming additive.

Does anyone know of a good refillable oil spray/mister model they could recommend? This would extend the ife of my current supply but the ones tried so far have just clogged up.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Local Lidl it's flying out as quick as they put the pallets out, the next nearest Lidl has plenty as does the nearest Farm Foods. I guess people just need to shop around, I'd suggest doing it before prices go up even more
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Our little Costcutter has plenty of 1L sunflower oil at £1.79. Use by 04/23. Shop local, even if it is a bit pricey.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

My stocks are currently OK. Good job too as I have been ill and unable to leave the house for a fortnight to hunt around. I am watching the way things are developing and wondering just how rough this is going to get, how long my supply will need to last and what I can do to eke it all out.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

All refillable sprays gunk up but I just unscrew the cap and stick the nozzle in a jug of hot water and it's ok after that. I just have to try and remember to do it after I use it rather than just before I need it!