Health and wood burning stoves

Medical and Healthcare
diamond lil

Re: Health and wood burning stoves

Post by diamond lil »

Wait and see how things go. Nobody is going to sit and freeze to death - or watch their kids/parents do it - and not light a fire.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't burn wet , treated or painted timber as a rule although sometimes a bit of ply or mdf can find it's way in there. Domestic fires don't get hot enough to break down the dioxins produced. Off the top of my head it really needs a forced air supply and a temperature of something like 700+ degrees . Air quality will degrade if inappropriate fuel is burnt . I also tend to use at least some of the ash in the garden and thus prefer to use chemical free timber as the source. That's more of a just in case thing rather than scientific basis on my part.
Cost is obviously an issue and there will always be some who go for the cheapest option but I always try to apply this approach to other sectors. Take driving for example. Tax , MOT , maintenance and insurance are all costs that could be dropped using the cost analogy . Would we all be happy with poorly maintained untaxed uninsured vehicles on the road?
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

man made fire before he had gas or electric,enough said
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We have two wood burning stoves, we get free pallet wood which helps but does not burn for long and so have started supplementing this with bought logs or offers to chop down small trees which we season because our other source of heating is oil. We live semi rurally but on a very busy A road. For me the health risks come more from the vehicles on the road than our wood burners. I used to be a smoker and so an early death is more likely to be linked to that than my stoves.
Growing old disgracefully!