hedgehog huts

Homes and Retreats
Rusty74

hedgehog huts

Post by Rusty74 »

not sure where to post this tbh,anyway youngest lad has noticed we have hedgehogs on our property(they been here for donkey years),so spent £20 of his pocket money on a hedgehog hut for them,so he has put it together and put it out in the garden,told him i will buy another tomorrow and use it as a pattern to build a few more out of plywood for him to dot around the place,nice to see him interested in things like this,i never use slug pellets as the hedgehogs eat the slugs and help out in the veg patch,not quite prepping but nice to give back to nature i think
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Re: hedgehog huts

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My dad's made 2 one out of slate sone 2x2 and some pink grip :lol:

The other des Res is made out of uPVC faced structural PIR insulation it's a lot better insulated than most homes :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

We built ours from scrap marine ply covered in plastic

ImagePlastic covered by British Red, on Flickr

Buried it in an artificial bank covered in rotting logs to provide invertebrates

ImageHedgehog eye view by British Red, on Flickr

Nothing fancy but the locals approve :)

ImageUnrolled Hedgehog by British Red, on Flickr
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Wonderful! The new fencing I had installed had big gaps underneath the panels, and I protected some of them with strategically placed old paving stones - helps hedgehogs, helps the fence by keeping it away from the soil.
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hed ... ur-garden/
jansman

Post by jansman »

I drive a fair old distance every day, and I am seeing a lot of hedgehog corpses on the road just lately. It always saddens me. :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Not seen hedgehog for years now I know they've all moved to British reds fancy new homes, well done your lad though for doing good job/taking interest 🙂
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Oops just realised was rusty 74 son who made hedgehog huts sorry, well done everyone for looking after our prickly friends