Hunger is NOT the best sauce!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Beegood

Re: Hunger is NOT the best sauce!

Post by Beegood »

GillyBee wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:31 am (If you are growing more than one variety or also have sweet peppers then you need to keep them apart or in a net bag so that they don't cross pollinate. Fiery sweet peppers or tiny sweet chilli shaped peppers next year are not a nice surprise.)
Lots of things I don't know, but that thing in particular might have saved us quite a bit of shock haha

Your herbarium is so cool British Red, and that's a useful reminder to get cracking on the flavour front! Got a lot to try now, need more pots! Will go womble what I can ha.

This guy has a cool YouTube channel, fair enough he's an Ozzy so it's warmer there but he has a TON of great ideas to grow your own veg including ginger:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PE32IxRIgow

Channel name is "Self Sufficient Me" as I can't embed the link like a newb.
GillyBee

Re: Hunger is NOT the best sauce!

Post by GillyBee »

Last year's turmeric attempts were OK with a a small crop - but not much space devoted to it. I had high hopes for this year. But this year the ***** tubers have only justdecided to start shooting. Some research suggests that they can be very slow to start shooting It seems that they need a solid spell of very high heat to trigger growth. 18C on a windowsill is not enough. The recent hot spell seems to have done the trick at last. If I want to try these next year and actually have a reasonable growing season I think I will have to try starting them on a heat mat.

The chillies are on their way in the greenhouse. I am a bit miffed that the cheyenne pepper seedling I spotted in a local nursery has proven to be something else. I really like this hanging basket style pepper which ahs always cropped early and heavily for me. Sadly there has not been much of it around this year as seed or plants. I have an experiment running as a result and have grown out some Cheyenne seed. It is an F1 so I didnt hold out too much hope that the seedlings would be like the parent but I do seem to have one early hanging basket pepper from the batch. I wil know in a week or two what the heat is like in the peppers as they are almost ready to pick.