What are your thoughts?

How are you preparing
jansman

What are your thoughts?

Post by jansman »

So. We are Preppers. We prepare for emergencies, crises, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, and general Armageddon. Without wishing to state the bleedin’ obvious; We have inflation ( probably soon to be rampant), energy is getting scarcer and very expensive, food is too, we have climate change, still have a pandemic with us , and another’pox’ has reared its ugly head. War is raging in Eastern Europe ( again), and the threat of nuclear exchange is real.

Down the years, we have discussed many scenarios and theories as to what may or may not be SHTF. Personally, because of the energy issues, and what spins off as a result,I believe this where society is facing a big and ugly change. SHTF if you like.

What are your thoughts?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Re: What are your thoughts?

Post by jennyjj01 »

In spite of the clear and present danger with Russia, I really don't think the S is Hitting the fan in the classic 'event' type way. I just think the decay is showing itself a bit more. If we can avoid WW3, we will continue to see acceleration towards a bad place.
We've had predictions of TEOTWAWKI since at least the 50s. Don't go up on the hill preparing for the end of the world tomorrow. It will unfold slowly. It's just that we already believe it's started and maybe reaced a point of no return... Or is close to doing so..

Two bad years behind us... a few more hopefully in front of us.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've long been a believer in the long slow decline type of thing rather than a sudden event where everything changes . With a few exceptions that has generally been the pattern throughout history as civilisations and empires collapse. The Roman empire took centuries to disappear , the British empire sort of fizzled out rather than collapsed. . Of course it makes it harder to say a definitive point in history was the start of the decline or collapse. There's still debate as to when WW2 started so not much chance of pinning a date on the current situation or at least not one that all will agree to.
Silver linings and all that but the downturn in economic activity is to a degree good news on the climate situation. The pandemic reduced oil consumption by something like 4million barrels a day if I recall. The war in Ukraine is forcing countries to wean themselves off Russian gas. It's becoming increasingly clear the only real sustainable future lies with more renewables. It would be pretty dim to believe otherwise , gas isn't going to drop in price and putting oneself in the pockets of foreign producers isn't sensible .
We've all heard the term climate change deniers and I think I mentioned overpopulation deniers a little while ago. To those two I'll add another , economic crash deniers , as it seems there is still a large portion of the population ( and that includes our leaders I'm afraid) that think things will return to "normal" in the nearish future.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yup, long slow decline, I think we're at the start of it. I agree there's over-population, but also over-consumption by the richer parts of the rich countries, even of the poor countries. Bigger, better, newer.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Long and slow is for the best a rapid collapse would throw the UK into chaos.
It was long and slow the move up from a house as a child with only fire in living room to almost everybody with central heating you could say the same with food and car ownership all sorts for the better ,now hopefully slowly backwards.
Things are on the way back to when I was a kid economicly .
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:07 pm Yup, long slow decline, I think we're at the start of it. I agree there's over-population, but also over-consumption by the richer parts of the rich countries, even of the poor countries. Bigger, better, newer.
Global population is expected to peak soon and then decline. The main reason is urbanisation - the rural poor need kids to work the land but in cities they don't, so birth rate falls. In fact most rich countries need immigration to make up for low birth rates. Otherwise the population ages and you have too many old people getting pensions and healthcare, and not enough tax payers.
Re over-consumption. The carbon footprint of the richest 10% in the world is the same as the other 90%.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've always predicted a Slow Crash...... Looks like we're just far enough down the slide that we can't grab the top and stop it, our only option is to slow the pace and hopefully not go wizzing of the end and miss the sandpit.

Clogs to clogs in three generations.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I think no-one is going to help us.

We as a species/planet/continent/country have become so dependant on other countries for goods and food at a cheaper price that we are no longer able to control our own fate.

A domino effect will take place in the future.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I always thought that there would be conflicts in the coming years, not over oil but something more basic.

Water.
daylen

Post by daylen »

I believe that this is where it hits the fan for many. The way I see it is that it's just about the line between the haves and have nots. For the last few decades, the line between having and not having has shifted massively towards the many. We've had a period of sustained and increasing prosperity for many people. However, now that line is shifting quickly back the other way at speed.

I believe that this winter is going to be the real crunch time.

Honestly, I'm more anxious about the state of things than I have been ever. Not necessarily for myself, but for family and loved ones in particular who have not been willing or able to read the signs and prepare for what's coming.