What are your thoughts?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What are your thoughts?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:08 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:07 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 pm house: I'd like to make it clear its a council-owned football pitch, and the helicopter was an air ambulance. Just in case I sounded a bit out there :lol:
There was me thinking you had your Waitrose order flown in :lol: :twisted: :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: nearly! :mrgreen:
When little man was much littler ;) he had a severe febrile convulsion (bit fit) which lasted 40 mins+ the first ambulance was tech only no paramedics .. by stroke of luck as they carried him to the ambulance a off duty paramedic pulled up she demanded to assist as the nearest paramedic unit was 25 miles away !

She said if they don't "clock her on" she will request air ambulance and started looking for a landing zone.

There's a big school field less than 100m away .... But the gates are locked... Looked at my tech mate (he was on the first ambulance that arrived he is ex fire service and was one of the first fire medic responders and jumped ship before the cut backs in the early 2000's)

he was about to contact Fire to get the gates open when my dad returns from his garage appeared with the. BIG bolt cutters and a BIG bar .... Magically they let her log on to give the magic drugs (knew she was genuine as my mate knew her)

Between me my dad and the tech with his fire service background with the contents of dad's garage we would have opened a bank vault :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

My children think I am somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun so it was gratifying to see my elder daughter’s jaw drop when she started work and I insisted she joined the union. A few years in and she now knows why I said HR is NEVER your friend.
I am thankful every day to have made it to retirement and no longer have to do a job I hated well before the end. The rage and contempt still boils up in me when I think back
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

As others have said, anyone can end up unemployed, disabled, a single parent etc. I've had some fairly good jobs, been promoted a few times, been made redundant, been self employed. Then I become disabled, was unable to claim ESA, and got fined £2,500 for no good reason by the tax office. I had no savings and my overdraft was maxed out. That period was so much stress I got anxiety to the point where I couldn't contemplate going for job interviews.
Fine was reduced to £0 several months later, after a letter from my MP.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:30 am As others have said, anyone can end up unemployed, disabled, a single parent etc. I've had some fairly good jobs, been promoted a few times, been made redundant, been self employed. Then I become disabled, was unable to claim ESA, and got fined £2,500 for no good reason by the tax office. I had no savings and my overdraft was maxed out. That period was so much stress I got anxiety to the point where I couldn't contemplate going for job interviews.
You are proof that nobody is immune from life.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:30 am As others have said, anyone can end up unemployed, disabled, a single parent etc. I've had some fairly good jobs, been promoted a few times, been made redundant, been self employed. Then I become disabled, was unable to claim ESA, and got fined £2,500 for no good reason by the tax office. I had no savings and my overdraft was maxed out. That period was so much stress I got anxiety to the point where I couldn't contemplate going for job interviews.
You are proof that nobody is immune from life.
If Covid had struck back then, or a bit earlier when I was working, but work was drying up and my physical problems were beginning, I don't know what I'd have done. Shows the importance of prepping, starting with saving and not having debt. Easier said than done but better done than not. People need to save when they can. I got away with it, I was lucky.