Protein alternatives

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Protein alternatives

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm
Vega-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 am
I'm not sure if anyone would agree but my partner and I are strict vegans and have been for over 10 years. Would like to carry on with that as long as possible but I grew up on a farm snaring rabbits and cleaning game. I know that strict veganism would be near impossible after stored food runs out but I will store as much plant protein and B12 sources as I can .
The whole point about prepping is to ease transition from yesterday into tomorrow.

Its not like theres going to be a Zompocalypse and everyone will have to live on Spam and Pepsi for the rest of their (short stressful) lives.

Loads of people all over the world live on a vegan or near vegan diet, mostly as subsistence farmers.
You already grow quinoa and probably have a much better understanding of nutrition on a restricted diet then a lot of us (ten years is a lot of experience in anything)...... Perhaps we should pick your brain on the subject :)
I agree with ForgeCorvus.... Stockpiles are just to buy time. You sound well placed to grow the right foods. Stored foods for us preppers might last many months, but there's no national food reserve. In a real SHTF event, expect to get robbed and eaten before your first harvest. :D
For vitamins, especially B, stash some beer and wine kits? Also good for bartering with.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

In a real SHTF event, expect to get robbed and eaten before your first harvest.
They'll be following fat people home to rob them, assuming that they have a stash of food :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Non animal proteins have to be beans in the UK. The easiest has to be runner beans. They are prolific, dry easily and can be used in many dishes, like any other dried bean. And of course, keep some back to re sow. I have been growing saved seed for , easily, 20 years.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Have we mentioned nuts yet? A hazelnut lodged in my front border, and I let it grow - now, every year, I have to dig up a dozen or so hazel self-seeders. Chestnuts also grow easily here, but from memory I think they have a higher concentration of carbohydrates than other nuts (which is why they make flour) and therefore less protein.