Protein alternatives

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vega-J

Re: Protein alternatives

Post by Vega-J »

Arctic249 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 pm Plenty of wild plant foods around at the moment that are high in protein...Red Clover for instance.
Gotta love a good forage! I go foraging around twice a week and a lot more during the autumn. Unfortunately clover doesn't agree with me. I tried it a couple of years ago but I won't go in to detail about the effects :lol:

Nettles have quite a good nutritional profile and a decent protein content :D
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I just buy tins of tuna when they are on offer. They have a shelf life of 2 years. Don't need cooking. My preferred type is called Fridge Pots, because they are in plastic pots you can eat half and put the lid back on. But I buy metal tins if they are the only ones on offer. Half a tin is probably a day's protein. Offers are on three tins. Normal price is £5 for 3, I never pay that. £3.50 or £4 is the offer price.
Regarding veg for protein, you want to be combining grains with legumes to get the full range of amino acids.
As regards foraging, Cat-tail/Reedmace/Bulrush (Typha latifolia) pollen is high in protein. When the rhizomes are processed into flour, around 52% is available carbohydrate and 9% protein. The plant has a 'cat-tail', a sausage-like mass of female flowers which turns brown in the summer. Directly above it is a spike of male flowers that contain the pollen. Best not collected from stagnant ponds.
Fat Hen (Chenopodium album) contains protein plus vitamin C and minerals.
Burdock roots are similar to potatoes in calories, carbs and protein.
As mentioned above, stinging nettles. Dried, the leaves can be up to 25% protein by weight. Also nettles are rich in vitamin C and iron.
Acorns contain nutrients, starch, oil, protein and minerals. They have to be processed.
Clover, yes, and dandelions too.
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

Frnc wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:26 am I just buy tins of tuna when they are on offer. They have a shelf life of 2 years. Don't need cooking. My preferred type is called Fridge Pots, because they are in plastic pots you can eat half and put the lid back on. But I buy metal tins if they are the only ones on offer. Half a tin is probably a day's protein. Offers are on three tins. Normal price is £5 for 3, I never pay that. £3.50 or £4 is the offer price.
Regarding veg for protein, you want to be combining grains with legumes to get the full range of amino acids.
As regards foraging, Cat-tail/Reedmace/Bulrush (Typha latifolia) pollen is high in protein. When the rhizomes are processed into flour, around 52% is available carbohydrate and 9% protein. The plant has a 'cat-tail', a sausage-like mass of female flowers which turns brown in the summer. Directly above it is a spike of male flowers that contain the pollen. Best not collected from stagnant ponds.
Fat Hen (Chenopodium album) contains protein plus vitamin C and minerals.
Burdock roots are similar to potatoes in calories, carbs and protein.
As mentioned above, stinging nettles. Dried, the leaves can be up to 25% protein by weight. Also nettles are rich in vitamin C and iron.
Acorns contain nutrients, starch, oil, protein and minerals. They have to be processed.
Clover, yes, and dandelions too.
I'm not sure if anyone would agree but my partner and I are strict vegans and have been for over 10 years. Would like to carry on with that as long as possible but I grew up on a farm snaring rabbits and cleaning game. I know that strict veganism would be near impossible after stored food runs out but I will store as much plant protein and B12 sources as I can .
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Aldi / Lidl tin mushy peas were cheap now 25 p a tin but 2 tins = 30g of complete protein ,storage however long you wish to push it.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vega-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 am
I'm not sure if anyone would agree but my partner and I are strict vegans and have been for over 10 years. Would like to carry on with that as long as possible but I grew up on a farm snaring rabbits and cleaning game. I know that strict veganism would be near impossible after stored food runs out but I will store as much plant protein and B12 sources as I can .
I was for a bit. But went back to lacto-ovo plus fish. In a survival situation, catching fish might be a good source of protein. Of course it depends how many other survivors have the same idea. That's why things like cat-tails are useful, as fewer people know about them. With your knowledge you're one step ahead. I can just about watch fishing videos and gutting the fish, but not watched anything on rabbits etc. I have made a note to buy some wire I could use. Speed hooks work for that as well as fish, I have a few. The bent wire type. Also some yoyo reels etc.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

We use this in drinks. It is a dried powdered form and would (I imagine) have a long shelf life.

It's basically made from cow hide so not suitable for many and also quite expensive. Completely tasteless.

https://www.naturescurecollagen.co.uk/

Over 90% protein as well
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You could consider storing quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat. They have reasonable amounts of protein and both are a good source of lysine which can be a bit short in other plant proteins. Quinoa and Buckwheat are both grown commercially in the UK and may have potential as garden crops for larger spaces.
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

GillyBee wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 pm You could consider storing quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat. They have reasonable amounts of protein and both are a good source of lysine which can be a bit short in other plant proteins. Quinoa and Buckwheat are both grown commercially in the UK and may have potential as garden crops for larger spaces.
Yes I completely agree. I grow quinoa and the harvest is pretty reasonable. Don't have enough of a plot to grow enough for two people unless I devoted half my allotment :lol: I almost weeded then out the first year I grew them as they look like fathen. I do grow amaranth but for the leaves and microgreens.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The whole point about prepping is to ease transition from yesterday into tomorrow.

Its not like theres going to be a Zompocalypse and everyone will have to live on Spam and Pepsi for the rest of their (short stressful) lives.

Loads of people all over the world live on a vegan or near vegan diet, mostly as subsistence farmers.
You already grow quinoa and probably have a much better understanding of nutrition on a restricted diet then a lot of us (ten years is a lot of experience in anything)...... Perhaps we should pick your brain on the subject :)

Now I'm going to have to research Pea Protein....... Another rabbithole to get lost in :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm
The whole point about prepping is to ease transition from yesterday into tomorrow.

Its not like theres going to be a Zompocalypse and everyone will have to live on Spam and Pepsi for the rest of their (short stressful) lives.

Loads of people all over the world live on a vegan or near vegan diet, mostly as subsistence farmers.
You already grow quinoa and probably have a much better understanding of nutrition on a restricted diet then a lot of us (ten years is a lot of experience in anything)...... Perhaps we should pick your brain on the subject :)

Now I'm going to have to research Pea Protein....... Another rabbithole to get lost in :oops:
Yes of course pick my brain! It's my favourite subject :lol:

Another protein I forgot to add as I'm not growing it this year is soup peas! They are so productive that I still have two jars of seeds from three season ago! I planted 30 plants and got enough for soups, stews, a strange hummus substitute, and dhal for nearly three years.