Allotment security

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Vega-J

Allotment security

Post by Vega-J »

Hello. We grow a large portion of our food at our allotment which is a mile and a half away. Recently someone has been helping themselves to other people's crops and it has got me thinking about what to do after a situation. We haven't had anything taken and I think it is mainly due to growing crops that most people don't recognise such as Jerusalem artichoke, oca, mashua, and perennial veg etc. I'm sure if people were desperate they would at least pull these up to try and ID them.

My question is how do people with allotments plan to secure their food supplies during/after a societal upheaval?

jennyjj01

Re: Allotment security

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vega-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:41 pm Hello. We grow a large portion of our food at our allotment which is a mile and a half away. Recently someone has been helping themselves to other people's crops and it has got me thinking about what to do after a situation. We haven't had anything taken and I think it is mainly due to growing crops that most people don't recognise such as Jerusalem artichoke, oca, mashua, and perennial veg etc. I'm sure if people were desperate they would at least pull these up to try and ID them.

My question is how do people with allotments plan to secure their food supplies during/after a societal upheaval?

Cadavers make good scarecrows $:o) When composting the intruder, leave an arm sticking up, with fingers chopped off..

Actually this was a thread from a few weeks back viewtopic.php?p=211512&hilit=worth#p211512

There were no easy answers. Growing subtle crops was one of them.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Put up a sign saying. . . Some of my crops have been poisoned . . . Do you know what ones. . . ???
Fill er up jacko...
Vega-J

Post by Vega-J »

Vitamin c wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:54 pm Put up a sign saying. . . Some of my crops have been poisoned . . . Do you know what ones. . . ???
I wonder what the legal ramifications would be if I did that tomorrow... I guess I could interplant with some ricinus or brugmansia :lol:

I wouldn't actually do that for the record.