Hi From The Woman Of The Woods

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
WomanOfTheWoods

Hi From The Woman Of The Woods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and really interested to learn more.
A bit about me.... I live on my croft (small holding) in the North of Scotland. A small farmhouse, with huge gardens, land and an ancient woodland leading on to 10 miles of estate forestry, private water supply, partially off grid as I also have mains electricity if needed. I grow 80% of my own food, keep chickens, coppice wood,,,,,, and far from being an alternative type,, I see this life as fairly normal. It's how people have lived for centuries.
I'm not prepping for any great apocalypse. I don't have a bug out bag and don't plan on preparing one.. I'm just interested in sustainable living...which has always been the ethos of a "prepper".
pseudonym

Re: Hi From The Woman Of The Woods

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:04 pm Hi Everyone, I'm new here and really interested to learn more.
A bit about me.... I live on my croft (small holding) in the North of Scotland. A small farmhouse, with huge gardens, land and an ancient woodland leading on to 10 miles of estate forestry, private water supply, partially off grid as I also have mains electricity if needed. I grow 80% of my own food, keep chickens, coppice wood,,,,,, and far from being an alternative type,, I see this life as fairly normal. It's how people have lived for centuries.
I'm not prepping for any great apocalypse. I don't have a bug out bag and don't plan on preparing one.. I'm just interested in sustainable living...which has always been the ethos of a "prepper".
Hi and welcome. :mrgreen: with envy.
You need to prep for when we all come over to your place after tshtf. :lol: Sounds like you have the perfect bug in environment that all the townies will want to bug out to.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! Your setup sounds wonderful - and pretty much complete, actually. Are there any jobs you consider are still undone, or is it maintenance now?

And since you're in northern Scotland - how long are your nights right now? I always find that fascinating :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Looking forward to seeing and hearing what you do up there, a lifestyle most on here would love.

Photos please.

Welcome .
Fill er up jacko...
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome. we have a lot in common/ location, life style and I suspect basic attitudes to life. This is a wonderful forum full of kindly and knowledgable people. I look forward to reading your future posts.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi from the Borders, near Jedburgh :mrgreen:
WomanOfTheWoods

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:32 pm Welcome to the forum! Your setup sounds wonderful - and pretty much complete, actually. Are there any jobs you consider are still undone, or is it maintenance now?

And since you're in northern Scotland - how long are your nights right now? I always find that fascinating :D
Hi Arzosah, I'm almost 58 degrees North with a few natural meadows, 1 2 acre garden and a huge ancient woodland..
I'm tackling things from the outside in,,,, so I'm growing food,, have enough seasoned fire wood for the next two years, but the old croft house is a work in progress. It's more fire fighting that maintenance. On arrival, the well needed fixing... and the grounds were overgrown.

Yes, the nights are light in Summer. Last night it was still light at 11.45pm
WomanOfTheWoods

[/quote]

Hi Diamond Lil,,,,, I lived in the Borders for years,,, before moving up North to the croft.
I was up in the Moorfoots for 30 years, now dropped 800ft down in Ancrum :mrgreen: Finding it almost tropical doon here, garden much easier and growing season much longer. I miss the open hills and the hawks though.