Cooking during power outage

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
rik_uk3

Re: Cooking during power outage

Post by rik_uk3 »

90 year old Primus stove boiling a Trangia kettle for a brew in the mancave tonight while I chat on my mobile ham radio rig, USA, Iceland, Norway, Germany, Greece and the Canary Islands tonight :)
SHACK JUNE 22.JPG
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Rik, that's brilliant :) and I have to say, quite a lot of that kit looks like it's levitating :mrgreen: wonderful stuff.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Me too - my dad was into that stuff and I always fancied it. Very nce Rik.
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Looks great Rik
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Many thanks, its a bit of fun and if the radio is 'quiet' I can tinker/fettle an old stove.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Bump.

A mate of mine up the Highlands was talking about this the other day, he’s bought a huge barbecue which should keep his family going until the lights and gas come back on.

I’ve only got a piddly wee chiminea in the garden which you can put a kettle on top and I have a very long handled frying pan to sit in it so I was wondering about getting some of charcoal barbecue. I’m up for suggestions and recommendations.

Cheers.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:13 am Bump.

A mate of mine up the Highlands was talking about this the other day, he’s bought a huge barbecue which should keep his family going until the lights and gas come back on.

I’ve only got a piddly wee chiminea in the garden which you can put a kettle on top and I have a very long handled frying pan to sit in it so I was wondering about getting some of charcoal barbecue. I’m up for suggestions and recommendations.

Cheers.
On the BBQ front the only issue is they are outdoor use only especially the charcoal variety due to carbon monoxide output

One thing on my to buy radar this year is a bigger camping stove with a grill and ideally a caravan type oven I've got 2 ring burners a plenty and little bistro stoves etc but a grill / oven gives another option or 2 for cooking ..

This is on offer

https://www.halfords.com/camping/cookin ... e1EALw_wcB

And a appropriate gas bottle / regulator ideally propane for winter use (butane tends to freeze) bigger bottle will last longer etc ...

I've a wood fired pizza oven at the end of summer about 8 years ago from Tesco for £30 in the yellow sticker area which we can do a roast in too (did a goose in it a few years ago for Christmas ) my dad got an identical one from Aldi last year with a gas burner in so that's something to consider if you have space / a garden

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-gas-p ... 6563009700

Charcoal is ok. It needs so be kept somewhere very dry as it seems to absorb water from the air
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had a 20 ish hour powercut ‘cos of the flooding ( I am told) and we used two bistro stoves- the little suitcase jobs. They work a treat. I noticed last time we were in Home Bargains they are about eleven quid and four cans of gas ( like aerosol cans) a fiver for four. Still the same price as 12+ years ago! And they work well.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:09 am
Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:13 am Bump.

Cheers.
On the BBQ front the only issue is they are outdoor use only especially the charcoal variety due to carbon monoxide output

One thing on my to buy radar this year is a bigger camping stove with a grill and ideally a caravan type oven I've got 2 ring burners a plenty and little bistro stoves etc but a grill / oven gives another option or 2 for cooking ..

This is on offer

https://www.halfords.com/camping/cookin ... e1EALw_wcB

And a appropriate gas bottle / regulator ideally propane for winter use (butane tends to freeze) bigger bottle will last longer etc ...

I've a wood fired pizza oven at the end of summer about 8 years ago from Tesco for £30 in the yellow sticker area which we can do a roast in too (did a goose in it a few years ago for Christmas ) my dad got an identical one from Aldi last year with a gas burner in so that's something to consider if you have space / a garden

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-gas-p ... 6563009700

Charcoal is ok. It needs so be kept somewhere very dry as it seems to absorb water from the air
Yeah outdoors is what I was thinking about. I’ve had a couple of cheap barbecues over the years, they end up rusting and getting chucked out so I was thinking of getting a decent one this time. Like most of us in the suburbs, you tend to prep by stealth so I thought this would be a good way to get something to cook on if the gas and leccy went out.
Peter

Post by Peter »

While we have multi-fuel stove on which we boil a kettle or saucepan we have an old
(from the 1950’s) two burner and grill picnic stove, and it still works well.

We can use it in the kitchen on a piece of granite with a propane bottle outside and the
hose through the cracked open window for ventilation

We can use propane or butane as we have regulators for both in many types of gas bottle
size should we ever need to scavenge gas.