Hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Evergog

Hello

Post by Evergog »

Hello everyone. A long time lurker on this forum with a long passing interest in prepping. From N Wales, married with kids, dogs cats etc!
Prepping started as I have always driven a fair way with work, so started with car edc. Moving onto more home related preps with other half on board as well.
Not planning to bug out or for apocalypse- more for economic issues, redundancy, cost of living etc
jennyjj01

Re: Hello

Post by jennyjj01 »

Evergog wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:39 pm Hello everyone. A long time lurker on this forum with a long passing interest in prepping. From N Wales, married with kids, dogs cats etc!
Prepping started as I have always driven a fair way with work, so started with car edc. Moving onto more home related preps with other half on board as well.
Not planning to bug out or for apocalypse- more for economic issues, redundancy, cost of living etc
Hi and welcome.
A full reserve pantry and a few hundred pounds in the home safe can ease a lot of situations.
Tell us how you are prepping, and what for?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Evergog

Post by Evergog »

I’ve shelved out one of the old sheds as a storeroom We’ve always been good at buying on offer and shopping around - but we’re ratcheting that up to build a bigger stock now over time.
My car has been kitted out with tool kit, and a bag with essentials such as shelter whilst waiting for the AA (I work away few days a week - so breakdown is always possible) and the family car has a cut down version of this.
Home security - cctv, lighting, fencing the property etc is almost done.
Financially we’re renovating an old house, and cut our throats to get it a few years ago- so a major thing is to build a nest egg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Evergog, welcome to the forum! That name sounds Welsh, actually, how lovely to be in North Wales :)

You're spot on in the type of things you're preparing for, that's the kind of thing we focus on in here, though the Ukraine war made things get a bit serious.

Home related preps: water is the one that new preppers tend to forget. There are plenty of water leaks all the time through the system, so thinking about drinking, cooking and hygiene is important. I only store in 2l bottles - I have arthritis, its all I can safely manage, but you'll find plenty on here use 25l storage, and higher too if they're out in the country.

Flooding is the other issue - from the sea, and from rivers. From what I remember of North Wales, you probably need to check your area, maybe with the website of the local council?

Take your time, have a look around on here, keep posting :)
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

hello and welcome im also north wales
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hiya Evergog
Sounds like you Bugged Out early :lol:

As I've said quite often "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hi Evergog. You seem pretty well prepped already.

As you say, building up some savings is very important, and keeping a bit of cash to hand.

As others have said, water is important. I have 5 and 10 litre containers, plus a 25 l one that's not actually filled, but is ready to be. It's a bit heavy when full. You need to change the water once or twice a year and keep it away from light. Or buy black or dark blue containers. I prefer white so I can see they are clean. 5 litre ones should fit under a bed.

Obviously you want first aid stuff.

Plenty of smoke alarms. Optical and/or ionisation, plus a heat one in the kitchen. Maybe fire ladders (chain or cloth type that come in a box). A CO alarm near the boiler. I keep a hammer as the bedroom window would need to be smashed in a fire, due to the way the top half is hinged at the top it would be hard to climb through.

Some forms of cooking if the power and gas is off. Eg camping gas stove, small wood burning stove. The latter come in simple folding type, or a type that burns hotter and produces less smoke. eg this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078Q6THFK/
Obviously to be used outside!
And aluminium or titanium camping pots to use with them.
Plastic plates maybe, for if you ever need to evacuate. Personally I do have a bugout bag, including tong term survival gear.

Warm clothes for if there's no heating.

Candles (tealight) and torches. Head torch.
Wind up radio maybe.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome to the forum.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.