Hello From Hertfordshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Beegood

Hello From Hertfordshire

Post by Beegood »

Hey guys,

I'm a newb on a mission, maybe some of you started off by realizing that if anything disrupted the supply chain you'd have X% prospects of survival (in my own case that'd be zero% prospect), lacking the skills to get by and/or a resource buffer to help. Someone kindly shared the link to your board, thank you again! :D

Literally just started getting off me duffer to not just rely on tins for survival because even if we had loads they will run out. Skills & knowledge won't run out on you, having supplies and knowledge might increase your odds!

And full disclosure here I stand with this guy :tinfoil as the "how's" might vary but the end result is probably going to involve poverty of us plebs.
pseudonym

Re: Hello From Hertfordshire

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Don’t pull yourself down. Got some tinned food? You already started. Build on that. Get a torch and batteries for a powercut. A cheap camping stove and a way to light it. A portable radio to stay informed- with batteries. A drop or two of stored water ( clean empty pop bottles filled from the tap- zero cost). Do just that,and you are already streets ahead .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Beegood, welcome to the forum. Just seconding what jansman said, really. Have a look through the forum, see what feels right for you, check your county/district/metropolitan wotsit area for the resilience recommendations, fire brigade, insurance company, that sort of thing. You honestly don't need to join the tinfoil hatters :)
Beegood

Post by Beegood »

Hey again gang! What a lovely welcome, and great starting information and reminders to be getting on with...a sign of the times when we have nary a radio between us... :D
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Beegood wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:43 pm Hey guys,

I'm a newb on a mission, maybe some of you started off by realizing that if anything disrupted the supply chain you'd have X% prospects of survival (in my own case that'd be zero% prospect), lacking the skills to get by and/or a resource buffer to help. Someone kindly shared the link to your board, thank you again! :D

Literally just started getting off me duffer to not just rely on tins for survival because even if we had loads they will run out. Skills & knowledge won't run out on you, having supplies and knowledge might increase your odds!

And full disclosure here I stand with this guy :tinfoil as the "how's" might vary but the end result is probably going to involve poverty of us plebs.
Hi, and welcome. You found it then ;)

Having a few tins and other food reserves is but a buffer, so we can knuckle down and not go hungry in the first few months of any situation, while all our neighbours are in a mad panic. I doubt any of us have stashed a lifetime's tins of beans :)

Disrupted supply chain and social collapse are aspects many of us prep for. Very possibly a slow but accelerating collapse that has already started. (See the post about Sri Lanka) Some of us look beyond the first few months of shortages towards how we can be more self sufficient, long term, in food and energy. So you'll find lots of good ideas here. We have a few experts on living 'The Good Life' and growing food, and there are go-to guys that can teach you all you never knew you didn't know about torches and off grid cooking. :D

This post might help you navigate... viewtopic.php?p=204636&hilit=logo#p204636

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

Welcome BeeGood,

I'm new here too and finding my way around the forum. I personally am not prepping for a crisis situation, but aiming to live a sustainable life as independent from the system as possible whilst still having the benefits of modern technology.

We all start somewhere, and that is usually a gradual awakening that the way we live maybe isn't quite the way we want to live and we want to make changes. If that means making sure you have a torch, some candles, matches and a few extra tins of food in the kitchen. Then that's as good a start as any. Because that's the start of a plan.

There's plenty of very experienced people on here and I'm a newbie. But a bit about my journey.
I spent all of my adult life working very hard, yet still somehow managed to live in a constant state of hand to mouth, constantly anxious about the lack of money and in an energy of worry. So I decided to change this.
My first step, I stopped buying anything I absolutely didn't need. Then I started getting organised. Rather than make a "TO DO" list I made a list of achievements... tiny little things. Every little prep was recorded on that list. I managed to buy a few candles,,,, that went on the list. Everything went on the list,

So forward 13 years and I now live on a smallholding and woodland, in a small croft house, mortgage and debt free, in a beautiful area, largely off grid yet with all mod cons, growing lots of my own food and fuel, ... and run a creative business from my home.
This all started with making small preps. It's the small daily steps that matter.
Welcome to the Journey BeeGood