How to convince partner an IBC is required

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Nurseandy

Re: How to convince partner an IBC is required

Post by Nurseandy »

Might be an idea to fill up the Jerry cans. Yes, hopefully cost will go down but on the other hand maybe there'll be supply issues again and you could magically produce a few gallons for your partner to further demonstrate the usefully of having a bit in reserve?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

CDT wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:20 pm Hey apologies for the slow reply, don't worry I havn't been killed yet.

I do agree the other half and I both have very different opinions on this. I think it stems from our work lives.

As with the other preps again I have my 3 week longer life food stash out of sight out of mind so she doesn't mind that and any solar ideas are all just living on the ideas board for now. I did buy some jerrycans for diesel storage but the fuel prices beat me to it so no point storage diesel when it's practically £2 per litre. Persistence may be the key ha. She does categorise me as a bit of a conspiracy theorist so that maybe doesn't help my cause :lol:
Thanks, your post explains a lot. Maybe choose your battles. You got your garden, You have your stash. Hopefully with time, she'll recognise the benefit for herself. When you get this summer's glut of veg, that might cause some interesting discussions.

Good luck.

As to the Diesel. You'll kick yourself if you sit back while it goes to £5 per litre.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:59 pm Might be an idea to fill up the Jerry cans. Yes, hopefully cost will go down but on the other hand maybe there'll be supply issues again and you could magically produce a few gallons for your partner to further demonstrate the usefully of having a bit in reserve?
I seriously doubt that cost will go down. The Western nations have tried to ‘punish’ Ivan , by refusing his gas and petrol, without first finding alternative sources first. On top of which, cheap and copious oil is no longer a choice. It isn’t there. By what I read, the world now runs on 4 million barrels of oil PER DAY, since COVID started. And there is now more demand than then. We are stuffed.

The world SHOULD be starting to talk about DE-growth, and a gradual Power-Down.Preserve what fuel we do have for important things, like farming, not flying around the world to get sunburn. But no; the economically illiterate politicians, still think we have to pray at the altar of GROWTH. At all costs. They are like Nero playing music whilst Rome burns.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:59 pm Might be an idea to fill up the Jerry cans. Yes, hopefully cost will go down but on the other hand maybe there'll be supply issues again and you could magically produce a few gallons for your partner to further demonstrate the usefully of having a bit in reserve?
I seriously doubt that cost will go down. The Western nations have tried to ‘punish’ Ivan , by refusing his gas and petrol, without first finding alternative sources first. On top of which, cheap and copious oil is no longer a choice. It isn’t there. By what I read, the world now runs on 4 million barrels of oil PER DAY, since COVID started. And there is now more demand than then. We are stuffed.

The world SHOULD be starting to talk about DE-growth, and a gradual Power-Down.Preserve what fuel we do have for important things, like farming, not flying around the world to get sunburn. But no; the economically illiterate politicians, still think we have to pray at the altar of GROWTH. At all costs. They are like Nero playing music whilst Rome burns.
Last edited by jansman on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate

Robert Frost.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

picked a 1000l ibc up a couple of years ago for free,someone was giving up there allotment and wanted it gone,so it now sits at the back of the garage collecting the rain water off it
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Sorry, heading off topic...
Get those Jerry cans filled :)

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:24 pm
Has nobody realised..... Putin is quite effectively preserving the fossil fuels that Russia has. Every drop not exported is preserved for them to use or sell when the global resource is even rarer and more valuable. Even if he could sell it all to the west, why deplete Russia's reserves. So, Russia misses out on western funds, Like Putin Cares. Russia won't come begging to the west for food, oil, Gas, ... anything.

And our Western leaders..... Kicking the can down the road as always.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 pm Sorry, heading off topic...

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:24 pm
Has nobody realised..... Putin is quite effectively preserving the fossil fuels that Russia has. Every drop not exported is preserved for them to use or sell when the global resource is even rarer and more valuable. Even if he could sell it all to the west, why deplete Russia's reserves. So, Russia misses out on western funds, Like Putin Cares. Russia won't come begging to the west for food, oil, Gas, ... anything.

So,back on topic: maybe an IBC is a good idea! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:36 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 pm Sorry, heading off topic...
So,back on topic: maybe an IBC is a good idea! :lol:
Get an IBC: Fill it with diesel at £1.90 per litre. When TSHTF become the richest fuel magnate in the county and trade diesel for unlimited parsnips and swedes. :lol: Mind you, he won't just be defending the idea of the IBC from his partner. He'll be defending the IBC to the death from looters.

I'm sure there's somebody somewhere storing a stack of diesel filled IBC's

CDT

Post by CDT »

It may or may not have been stashed away in the overgrown top of the garden while she was at work :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

CDT wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:15 pm It may or may not have been stashed away in the overgrown top of the garden while she was at work :lol:
Oh heck... A prepper with a death wish. :lol: