Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
moominmama

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by moominmama »

a colleague at work referred me to this clip, although fictional he is said it is the best, most concise and accurate list of what we face due to climate change. He is a really smart person, and works / researches along these lines, and discussed this in the context of why he and his partner are childless through choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

as a mother of a young child i find it chilling
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

moominmama wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 am a colleague at work referred me to this clip, although fictional he is said it is the best, most concise and accurate list of what we face due to climate change. He is a really smart person, and works / researches along these lines, and discussed this in the context of why he and his partner are childless through choice.

Unfortunately, this is the most likely scenario. Of course everyone should still try. But there is too little trying going on. Carbon footprint of Americans is still 15.5 tons per person per year. Global is 4.8. Canada is even worse than the US. I guess they have bigger heating bills. Bangladesh, which suffers floods, 0.47. Everyone goes on about China, but it's half the Americans' figure. They do have a big population though. At least the world now understands that there are limits to gas, albeit from the point of view of rapid price hikes.
Governments worldwide have let us down for 40 years. They had their chance in the 80s. After that, fossil fuels companies went into denial for 20 years, creating a whole industry of amateur climate experts who focus only on a handful of papers which give a minimal picture of anthropogenic global warming. The companies themselves have given up denial. Ironically, in the 60s and 70s it was fossil fuels companies at the fore of understanding AGW. Exxon predicted 3-4° warming by 2100.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

moominmama wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 am a colleague at work referred me to this clip, although fictional he is said it is the best, most concise and accurate list of what we face due to climate change. He is a really smart person, and works / researches along these lines, and discussed this in the context of why he and his partner are childless through choice.

:D :D :D :D That (fictional) interview is hysterically funny in it's dry delivery.

Interviewer (Will): "So what can we do to reverse this?"
Mr Westbrook : "There's a lot we could do.
Interviewer : "Good."
Mr Westbrook : "If it were 20 years ago... But now. No."

LOL.

Interviewer : "Mr Westbrook, we want to inform people, but we don't want to alarm them. Can you give us a reason to be optimistic?"
Mr Westbrook : "Well, that's the thing Will. Americans are optimistic by nature. and if we face this problem head on, If we listen to our best scientists, and act decisively and passionately, I still don't see any way we can survive"

ROTFLMAO......
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:40 am
ROTFLMAO......
Do you think your finding it funny might be the brain trying to protect you from the shock of the reality?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:27 am
ROTFLMAO......
Do you think your finding it funny might be the brain trying to protect you from the shock of the reality?
The delivery was funny. the message dire.
I wish I could laugh at it without crying. It's deathbed humour.
The reality is no shock to me. Worthless humanity is screwed. All of us are. I just resign myself to squeezing out just the rest of a meaningless existence without going too hungry. There will be a few fat and greedy folk who last longer than us and many poor folk who are already dead or dying.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 pm
Frnc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:27 am
ROTFLMAO......
The delivery was funny. the message dire.
I wish I could laugh at it without crying. It's deathbed humour.
The reality is no shock to me. Worthless humanity is screwed. All of us are. I just resign myself to squeezing out just the rest of a meaningless existence without going too hungry. There will be a few fat and greedy folk who last longer than us and many poor folk who are already dead or dying.
When I was young, most likely career path for me was oil exploration (I was getting a degree in Geology). Didn't fancy it. My life might be a bit low-achieving compare to most fellow students at the time, but I made the right call. Vast majority went into that field. This was 1980. I was only 20. AGW wasn't widely known about. But I know I was into green topics within a year or two after that.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

i really try not to think about it! but something always brings it to mind - we have 10 water butts but still run out of water in the summer...

we are able to crop and grow fruit and veg for a much longer season than we used to have

we were able to get son into a extra curricular activity that i am really shocked had a space open up, but lots of parents are cutting children activities as they are really expensive

friends and family who normally never ask for anything in particular for their children, we do not buy for adults, are now asking for clothes or specific things that the children need

food bank donations are down, demand is up

our local Aldi is getting busier as people shift to it

everything is pointing one way
Happyhatter

Post by Happyhatter »

Know it's probably obvious what's ROTFLMAO? Anyhow state of the world's quite scary what with climate change, war in Ukrainian, cost of living etc, always lived fairly simply only buy new clothes/shoes when worn-out replace cooker/washing machine when knackered. In way glad I'm wrong (or right) side of 40
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Happyhatter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 pm Know it's probably obvious what's ROTFLMAO? Anyhow state of the world's quite scary what with climate change, war in Ukrainian, cost of living etc, always lived fairly simply only buy new clothes/shoes when worn-out replace cooker/washing machine when knackered. In way glad I'm wrong (or right) side of 40
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=ROTFLMAO
An extension of Rolling on the floor laughing (my 4r53 off)

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Without giving too much away I work with people who are vulnerable, there is a massive housing crisis at the moment, supported accommodation is blocked because of the housing crisis. Councils are spending thousands on housing vulnerable people who they are owed a duty to on emergency accommodation in hotels. Food banks are in crisis and are turning into community shops because people are becoming more reliant on them long term. Food banks cannot support the amount of people who are relying on them and are needing some financial input from the people using them who are now reporting that the food which they receive is not enough to sustain them. Fuel vouchers funded by the government and distributed by councils and charities are being snapped up at such a rate and limited to a certain amount per household so that there are not enough to go around. I am receiving calls every day from people unable to afford their electricity due to rising costs and this is in summer. It is really bad out there and something has got to give. I predict a massive rise in crime and/or civil unrest very soon.
Growing old disgracefully!