Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

How are you preparing
WomanOfTheWoods

Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

With so many crisis world events occurring; many of them unprecedented and interrelated, does anyone else sense we are heading for the Perfect Storm?

I am usually very positive. I'm a woman who creates, plans, takes action. I get things done. Yet I have never in my almost 60 years felt such an uneasy feeling as I'm currently experiencing over this last 6 months. I'm no tinfoil hat wearing type :tinfoil :tinfoil . I'm pragmatic, practical and I understand how to research. I understand mathematical modelling. I set about a plan and I get things done. And I feel we are on the cusp of enormous change.
Vitamin c

Re: Do You Feel We Are Heading For The Perfect Storm?

Post by Vitamin c »

As far as I'm concerned it's been with us for the past 2 years slowly getting worse and worse everything from food to fuel to power , can't see a doctor 5yr plus waits for NHS operations ,crime going uninvestgated plus large shortage of cops , inflation, real poverty (leading to crime ) .

My preps will give me a edge with food but pretty much everything else is out of my control my life savings are being smashed in don't trust who is in charge or any replacement eventually it will lead to extreme politics / party's.

With a life time of towing the line and paying my taxs I feel abandoned and left to it .
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:57 pm With so many crisis world events occurring; many of them unprecedented and interrelated, does anyone else sense we are heading for the Perfect Storm?
Absolutely. Each world changing crisis is hitting us before any of the previous ones gets resolved.
Start at any point in the last 5 years and look at the headlines.
We had a rise in Trumpism.... He hasn't gone away
Covid, that hasn't gone away
North Korea... Not gone away
Taliban. Not gone away. Better armed than ever.
Syria refugee crisis? Not gone away
Ukraine... Not gone away
Russia holding the world to ransom. Not going away
And just up the road, on the horizon, Chinese military posturing
And a rise in Extreme right wing GOP in the US, inevitably regaining the House, Senate and Presidency.
Global warming?
Rampant inflation?
Chinese real estate collapsed with global repercussions
Whole Countries adopting a dying Bitcoin?
Roe V Wade?

We haven't even noticed the trigger event. Could be any of those, or a wildcard event. Israel & Iran? India & Pakistan? Kalingrad blockade!!!
We have so many fires still burning and only the latest one gets to be in the news.

If the world were a car, it would be overdue for an MOT, with shot brakes, Loose steering, Bald tyres, broken suspension, one headlamp out, and then a bunny rabbit runs into the road and we all end up dead. :shock:

Maybe it's always been so, but since 2015 or so, it's really got me rattled.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

The things that worry me the most:

1. The rise of the far-right (in the UK and elsewhere). Not necessarily blatant NF types, I included right wingers who are moving to the right.
1. a. Our media has shifted right and become less honest.
1. b. Civil liberties are being eroded rapidly.
Obviously fascism is part of the far-right.

2. The climate. Global warming. I know WOTW is sceptical, but I did post a lot of stuff to explain the science. We can see the extreme weather of the last few years around the world. This is just the start. The very beginning. But big change could be quite rapid. If feedbacks kick in. Eg, if the tundra thaws, more greenhouse gases will be released. If arctic ice melts, more sunlight reaches the ocean. If the ocean warms, it can't store as much CO2.

3. Inflation. Putin is to blame for some of this. Also the system itself, where people can charge as much as they can get away with, no questions asked. Supply and demand is not interested in need, or what's fair. Again, our media is not serving our interests.
Last edited by Frnc on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 pm
WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:57 pm With so many crisis world events occurring; many of them unprecedented and interrelated, does anyone else sense we are heading for the Perfect Storm?
Absolutely. Each world changing crisis is hitting us before any of the previous ones gets resolved.
Start at any point in the last 5 years and look at the headlines.
We had a rise in Trumpism.... He hasn't gone away
Covid, that hasn't gone away
North Korea... Not gone away
Taliban. Not gone away. Better armed than ever.
Syria refugee crisis? Not gone away
Ukraine... Not gone away
Russia holding the world to ransom. Not going away
And just up the road, on the horizon, Chinese military posturing
And a rise in Extreme right wing GOP in the US, inevitably regaining the House, Senate and Presidency.
Global warming?
Rampant inflation?
Chinese real estate collapsed with global repercussions
Whole Countries adopting a dying Bitcoin?
Roe V Wade?

We haven't even noticed the trigger event. Could be any of those, or a wildcard event. Israel & Iran? India & Pakistan? Kalingrad blockade!!!
We have so many fires still burning and only the latest one gets to be in the news.

If the world were a car, it would be overdue for an MOT, with shot brakes, Loose steering, Bald tyres, broken suspension, one headlamp out, and then a bunny rabbit runs into the road and we all end up dead. :shock:

Maybe it's always been so, but since 2015 or so, it's really got me rattled.
Good list, pretty much spot on about everything, I think. Did you know the US and Pakistan created the Taliban from Afghan orphans? The UK and Saudi Arabia contributed funds. This was in 1994. The US hoped they would take over Afghanistan and create a friendly state like Saudi Arabia. They never learn. The orphans were taught the religion/ideology of Saudi Arabia, which is where Bin Laden comes from.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 pm my life savings are being smashed in don't trust who is in charge or any replacement eventually it will lead to extreme politics / party's.

With a life time of towing the line and paying my taxs I feel abandoned and left to it .
Yeah, I know. We are abandoned, most definitely.
Coventry and Paragon are offering fixed rates in the 2.5-3% ball park at the moment.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Global warming.

20 years from now I reckon you will see an armed conflict over the most basic of necessities, possibly in the Middle East. Something to which we Scots have an over abundance of.

Water.

The Gulf States May also become uninhabitable causing instability. Crops failing all over the place causing migration shifts.

We are living in very interesting times as the Chinese say.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 am Global warming.

20 years from now I reckon you will see an armed conflict over the most basic of necessities, possibly in the Middle East. Something to which we Scots have an over abundance of.

Water.

The Gulf States May also become uninhabitable causing instability. Crops failing all over the place causing migration shifts.

We are living in very interesting times as the Chinese say.
Some say the civil war in Syria is partly over water.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38532338
Syria conflict: The biblical river at the heart of a water war

The flashpoint for Syria's war, six years old this March, has in recent days taken the form of an elemental struggle over water.

The drinking water supply to some 5 million residents in the Syrian capital, Damascus, was cut on 23 December by the Damascus Water Authority, who say rebels have contaminated it with diesel. Rebels deny this, saying bombing by the government has damaged the infrastructure.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

When I think of the future, I frequently get a heavy cold feeling in the pit of my stomach and if I dwell on it all for too long I get near to having a panic attack (haven't had one for years, partly due to being a prepper which gives a feeling of some security and just taking things into your own control).
I personally have lost trust. I don't trust those that make the rules or those that carry them out. I don't trust the media to report fairly and honestly. I don't trust business and manufacturers to be honest about their output or to have my best interests at heart.
The only thing I can do about all this is to be as self-sufficent as I can and to expect no real help from the outside world.
The family jokes that I'm a near hermit these days - good it's how I want it.
Having said all that I'm still quite positive. I am doing my best to survive whatever comes and to help my family do so too. That's where real power lies.
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

izzy_mack wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:05 am When I think of the future, I frequently get a heavy cold feeling in the pit of my stomach and if I dwell on it all for too long I get near to having a panic attack (haven't had one for years, partly due to being a prepper which gives a feeling of some security and just taking things into your own control).
I personally have lost trust. I don't trust those that make the rules or those that carry them out. I don't trust the media to report fairly and honestly. I don't trust business and manufacturers to be honest about their output or to have my best interests at heart.
The only thing I can do about all this is to be as self-sufficent as I can and to expect no real help from the outside world.
The family jokes that I'm a near hermit these days - good it's how I want it.
Having said all that I'm still quite positive. I am doing my best to survive whatever comes and to help my family do so too. That's where real power lies.
I'm 100% on your path too izzy_mack. I'm becoming increasingly more and more self sufficient. I neither want to rely on the system / authority / government. Nor do I want to be controlled by them any more than I am currently. Eventually, once I get my place a little more sorted, I would like to work with others wanting to live a comfortable, sustainable and largely off grid life. But that's a bit further down the line. My aim is to live with nature, yet have most of the comforts of modern living. To achieve this, I know it can only be done by huge effort. A 37hr week won't do it. But I expect to put the effort in. Our modern way of life hasn't been working for us. People have largely got far too used to being told what to do. Why? Because it's easier than having to put in the effort and prepare for themselves.

I don't engage in the political process. IMO none are worthy of a vote. Both the emerging extreme Left and extreme Right are becoming and increasingly deeply damaging force.

I contribute more to the system than I receive. For example, I haven't accessed the NHS in any way shape or form over the last 30 years.