Recession Recipes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jennyjj01

Re: Recession Recipes

Post by jennyjj01 »

Ara wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:23 am Tin of chopped tomatoes, tub of quark, add whatever herbs/garlic etc you like. Heat together. Add cooked pasta. Quick and easy.
Quark? I'd never heard of that. Sounds a bit like cottage cheese?
Certainly sounds like a super quick tummy filler....
Unlike Oatmeal & Cheese and Marmite :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Ara

Post by Ara »

Quark is a fat free, soft "cheese" which is great to use as a base for pasta sauces. I also use it to replace soft cheese in cheesecakes. That way I can convince myself that cheesecakes are "healthy" food. It is usually next to the cottage cheese in supermarkets although sometimes it can be difficult to find.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I eat loads of quark to get dietry calcium without (much) protein or salt, for my kidney stone diet. You can eat it on it's own, or mix it with anything. It's a bit like soft cheese. Low in fat, low in calories. I eat a spoonful with most meals. Pretty cheap as well.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here’s a nice fiery pasta we like:https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05 ... uttanesca/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We do Ara's recipe using standard soft cheese (Philadephia clones) and it works well too - althugh the fat content will give it a higher calorie count which you may or may not want
Beegood

Post by Beegood »

I eat this all the time, either version, swear it's good & tasty!

Wet Version:

1 - Seasoning - I like a good strong curry powder + add some dried garlic. You can use stock cubes, red hot sauce, anything you like for flavour.

2 - Whack veg/beans in a pot or microwave in a bowl with water & seasoning - frozen or tinned it all works eg: spinach, broccoli, sprouts, peas etc cook to the consistency YOU want

3 - add a pack of noodles, the flavour sachet, and a dollop of peanut butter and mix it up. Mmm soupy.

4 - Eat now, or...

5 - if it's a special occasion during the depression, or you're rich in tins, add extra tidbits like cooked meat or a tin of fish (I add the whole tin including brine/oil for flavour).

Optional lemon juice to bring out the heat is nice.

Dry Version:

1 - Oil + I add veg in this order and once each is cooked to perfect Oblivion I add the next ingredient: onion, peppers, beans, garlic/chili and once & then other veg.

2 -Add seasoning, I use the curry powder from the world food section for both versions because it's amazing, biryani masala or hot Madras mmm

3 - immediately after the seasoning add dry noodles & it's accompanying powder. This is where I add lemon juice, and then a dollop of peanut butter.

4 - Your pot is going wild, things are adhering nicely to it's base, stirring is crazy - if you don't like dry noodle curry add a little more liquid. If you like it dry Turn up the heat and STIR FASTER.

5 - Serve, eat.

6 - Keep pot on heat for a moment with a bit of water in it to help clean it, add dish soap if you can, allow to cool and clean.

Portion veg as you will, but 1 pack of cheapo noodles go a long way amidst all the goodies so you need to see what your personal golden ratio of noodles to other stuff is, rice can stand in too but I prefer noodles all the way!

Remember that Tuna + peanut butter + scovilles + flavour is amazing, with noodles, sometimes rice.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Our absolute favourite is a spicy lamb and marrow stew. When my wife was poorly,she literally lived on this,and never got tired of it. You can use diced beef instead of lamb,and it could even be meat- free! This is for two people:

340g diced lamb or beef. Dredge it in a good dollop of flour. Start browning it in a drop of oil,meanwhile roughly chop an onion and garlic to taste. Chuck it in with the meat,or no meat :D ,then grate in or use squeezy ginger. Then after a short while stir in a really good load of tomato purée. Cook on! Meanwhile the kettle is boiling. You can make up a load of stock,or just sling the boiling water in and crumble a vegetable stock cube in,and give it a good stir. Then I put in a good squeeze of chilli sauce in.That’s the key to this. Salt and pepper. I let this simmer for a good while so the meat is tender,and later add a can of chickpeas.Simmer on. Then an hour before eating,add diced marrow or squash ( I use the diced frozen when I have none left from the garden). Half an hour on add some quartered fresh tomatoes OR a tin of tomatoes. Simmer on,and ten minutes before the end put in some chopped cabbage or kale and simmer until it’s the texture you like. Serve with some nice bread!

This is a good panful of grub,and you’ll have some left. We use it the following day,and serve with jacket spuds ,or throw in a handful of pasta. Lovely.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 pm Here’s a nice fiery pasta we like:https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05 ... uttanesca/
Everything apart from the fish here is good. :mrgreen:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

That one is a "no" on two counts for us. I hate vinegar so the capers are out while t'other half hates anything where fish and tomato are paired.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:43 pm That one is a "no" on two counts for us. I hate vinegar so the capers are out while t'other half hates anything where fish and tomato are paired.
You could substitute the capers for olives - and just get rid of the fish full stop. :mrgreen: