Recession Recipes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Recession Recipes

Post by jansman »

So. We have a thread running about rising food prices. And they are gonna keep rising,aren’t they? So let’s get a positive thread going to make things look a little happier. :D We all eat,and we all like different food.It’s nice to get new ideas too.

Now my idea is NOT to get a list of SHTF ,Apocalyptic,down- and - dirty recipes. It’s about getting some nice grub together, but on a budget,from our storage and our fridges. It’s about cooking times and fuel too,but we won’t be pedantic. Life is,or maybe a bit grim for some,but food is the tie that binds. Let’s find a bit of Happy! :D Put in your recipes,or your links,and go for it! :lol:

I’ll kick it off: We like mushrooms and spinach.We always have mushrooms in,but we keep tinned too. I grow spinach,but we keep some frozen too. I reckon this could be adapted,( like a splash of lemon juice,instead of zest). And pasta. Still cheap! This link has some other good pasta recipes too. Here we go,and please contribute ,so we can all get a bit of positivity going! :D

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spee ... hetti.html
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Re: Recession Recipes

Post by British Red »

I shoot pigeon for pest control. A FAST recipe for lunch is:

Flash fry sliced pigeon breast with home grown garlic, chilli, spring onion and ginger.

Add a splash of soy sauce & balsamic then serve in a pitta with a spoon of home made yoghurt.

Delicious, crazy cheap and made in less than 5 minutes
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Cheese and Bean Casserole: One of our favourite comfort meals. Serves two.

Fry 3 or 4 chopped up rashers of bacon.
Slice and fry an onion till soft. Mix the bacon and onion into the base of a casserole dish ( Pyrex, oval :) )
Pour on a tin of baked beans.
Grate cheddar cheese on top.
Bake about fifteen - twenty minutes, till you have some 'burnedy bits' stuck to the pyrex.

You can, of course, use spam, bacon grill or chopped up sausages
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Now we’re rocking! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:18 pm Cheese and Bean Casserole: One of our favourite comfort meals. Serves two.

Fry 3 or 4 chopped up rashers of bacon.
Slice and fry an onion till soft. Mix the bacon and onion into the base of a casserole dish ( Pyrex, oval :) )
Pour on a tin of baked beans.
Grate cheddar cheese on top.
Bake about fifteen - twenty minutes, till you have some 'burnedy bits' stuck to the pyrex.

You can, of course, use spam, bacon grill or chopped up sausages
Hungry now.....
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Portion of porridge oats, cook in water with salt and pepper, stir in a handful of grated cheese per portion, just at the
end add the white of an egg (per portion) to cook out first then the yolks.

Eat hot.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Three or even four bean chilli with or without meat.
200g red lentils boiled for 15 mins, Fry some onions, and add meat if using, the beans/lentils, passata, stock cube or some dehydrated veg mix, chilli powder and a bit of cumin.
If you have a bit of smoked bacon or chorizo you can cook/chop that for extra flavour.
Serve with cheese on top.
Morrisons prices
(optional) Pork mince £2.19
Onions £0.25
50ml Veg Oil £0.15
lentils £0.40
3 cans beans £1.20 (5 for £2 offer) Or rinse some baked beans and use those.
Passata 0.90 (2 packs)
Stock cube £0.10
Chorizo £0.25 for an inch or so
1 tsp each of cumin and hot chilli powder £0.10
Total cost for the meat version is £5.54 plus rice but it will feed ten so works out at £0.55 a head. Lentil version is £3.55 so 36p a head.

Meal 2 Lentil Dahl
Onions £0.25
200g red lentils precooked in water. £0.40
100ml Veg oil £0.30 - dont stint on this.
500ml Passatta £0.45
1 tsp each of ground ginger, turmeric, cumin, chilli, garam masala and 1 Tbs of ground coriander £0.30
1 Tbs of lemon juice (tamarind is expensive) £0.10
Creamed coconut 1/4 packet £0.35
total £2.25 plus rice so (assumes 5p a tsp for the spices) Feeds 6 so £0.37 a portion and freezes well.

Add some of Jansman's rhubarb chutney or mango chutney if you have it.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:37 pm Portion of porridge oats, cook in water with salt and pepper, stir in a handful of grated cheese per portion, just at the
end add the white of an egg (per portion) to cook out first then the yolks.

Eat hot.
A Dollop of marmite works well in this too (if that's your thing :lol: )
Ara

Post by Ara »

Tin of chopped tomatoes, tub of quark, add whatever herbs/garlic etc you like. Heat together. Add cooked pasta. Quick and easy.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Another one but this uses more energy as it's cooked in the oven.
Chilli bean crumble.
Put a tin of tomatoes, a tin of baked beans and a few chilli seeds into a casserole dish. Make a savoury crumble mix with flour, butter/marg and oats if liked, adding chilli powder to taste and cover tomato/bean mix. Oven cook for about half an hour.