Recession Recipes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Beegood

Re: Recession Recipes

Post by Beegood »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:24 am
jansman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 pm Here’s a nice fiery pasta we like:https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05 ... uttanesca/
Everything apart from the fish here is good. :mrgreen:
Finally another use for me tinned anchovies other than bothering pizza :D
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Student Pizza

Steal two slices of bread from a housemate and toast under the grill on on side.
Scrape the last of the ketchup out of the lid of the bottle where its been resting upside-down since yesterday and spread evenly over the untoasted side of the breadish.
Sprinkle (or heap if Mum has sent you a food parcel recently) grated cheese on top of the Tommy K. and slam back under the grill (before whatshisface from down the hall starts moaning about wasting fuel.... Again).
Consume one slice on the way back to your room and the other one with that half a can of warm flat beer you found on the bedside table this morning/afternoon when you woke up hungry.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Did this today ; https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2013/03 ... plaki-17p/

We have rather a lot of broad beans,so adapted it. We always have feta cheese in,and decent granary bread. With a glass of nice red wine,it was a pleasant meal. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I just spotted a salient page on BBC.com Not going to copy and paste recipes to here, but it has a commendable list of meals for a £1 per portion. Particularly relevant because most of the recipes feature rice and pulses and pasta, We could match this up with our stockpile lists to have some ready to go recipes, filed alongside to rice and bean tubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/1_dinners

I'm particularly drawn to the tinned tomato risotto, Which nicely dovetails my food stash.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tinn ... otto_50756
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are using stored food now . Got to really. Firstly, it needs rotating . I’ve even given 8 kg of rice to my daughter and the same is going to the Food Bank at our church nearby. Secondly, we are on a strict budget ,so all good. :D

So yesterday. Pasta bake. Lovely it was. Basically I put a couple of my large handfuls of penne pasta into salted cold water. Left them there all day. As a fan of Jack Monroe, I read her recipes,and these days ,cos she is an anti poverty campaigner ,she tells you how long you are using fuel! Soaking the pasta like that can mean it takes two minutes if you boil it. The oven bakes can leave pasta a bit too firm for us .Good that.

Anyhow, I put the pasta in an oven dish , and added a small sliced onion,and mixed it together. Then bacon. Now we like smoked bacon,but right now I cannot eat it,as I have an issue with my left jaw ,so chewing hurts. Instead I’ve used tinned bacon ,which is softer but smoky flavoured. I had some left,so I chopped it and mixed that in too. Then I used an Aldi cheese and bacon pasta sauce. 75p :D Mixed that in and rinsed the jar and whacked that in too. In the oven for 45 minutes. Done!
Added some grated cheese when out and had some cheap garlic bread and a green salad I prepped from oriental greens from my cold frame. Spot on and simple. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Leftovers soup as made yesterday
A mugful of split yellowpeas.
A chopped onion
Leftover frozen meat scraps from the turkey
A pint of water left from cooking a ham
Grated stray carrot from the bottom of the fridge
Boiled the peas in a bit of water til getting soft. Added the rest and left to simmer.
Might work in a hay box once the peas are soft
hobo

Post by hobo »

jansman

Post by jansman »

hobo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 am £1 recipes here https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/1_dinners
👍 bookmarked Hobo. Thanks buddy. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Any tin of cheap soup add a handful of oats leave in fridge overnight then just warm in microwave.
Fill er up jacko...