Cat-tail, a rich source of food growing wild

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
itsybitsy

Re: Cat-tail, a rich source of food growing wild

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:51 pm Crocodile Dundee moment: Tastes like sh*t, but you can live on it. :lol:
Let's face it - nobody's eating that crap. I hear the word 'foraging' and then for some reason, folk wandering around half-baked, with dirty fingernails and holey jumpers, 'living off the land'. :mrgreen:
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Ray Mears talks about Cattail here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3D9wae ... l=Leonardo

I've tried it, I'd not rush out to buy it if it was on offer in Tesco though.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:34 pm Ray Mears talks about Cattail here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3D9wae ... l=Leonardo

I've tried it, I'd not rush out to buy it if it was on offer in Tesco though.
Was interesting to watch. Mears is always good. The bit at the end where they could walk on the root mass, surely you could dig for the rhizomes from there. You are supposed to extract the rhizome attached to the upper part for identification, which might be tricky with that density, but I guess if the area is looking to be 100% Cat Tail, you should be ok.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am
jansman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:51 pm Crocodile Dundee moment: Tastes like sh*t, but you can live on it. :lol:
Let's face it - nobody's eating that crap. I hear the word 'foraging' and then for some reason, folk wandering around half-baked, with dirty fingernails and holey jumpers, 'living off the land'. :mrgreen:
It's how humans survived for 99% of our history. In a post shtf scenario, if you lived more than a few months, it might be the only way to survive. Obviously you would try to grow crops as well, if possible. Anyway, I find it interesting.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

If you pull up a Cat Tailcut off the roots, and peel the leaves off, you will see a clear slime. This is a natural antiseptic and analgesic.

Cores of bottom 6" of stalks can be blanched then fried. Is very easy to eat, like pasta with a slight crunch. Contains several vitamins and minerals as well as carbs and some protein.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:59 pm
It's how humans survived for 99% of our history. In a post shtf scenario, if you lived more than a few months, it might be the only way to survive. Obviously you would try to grow crops as well, if possible. Anyway, I find it interesting.
It IS interesting,for sure. And yes,for most of human history,we have used such foods to survive. It would be a desperate time though if that were a necessary food source now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

There are several other uses for different parts of the Cat Tail. In the winter, the female flower head (the brown cigar/sausage) turns into a downy mass of large volume that makes good tinder, especially if compressed for a few hours and combined with something like birch bark that will hold the flame. The downy mass can be used for insulation and making a mattress if you collect enough. Just one 'cigar' or sausage turns into a surprising volume.
You can also dry the leaves and process them into cord.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:25 pm

It IS interesting,for sure. And yes,for most of human history,we have used such foods to survive. It would be a desperate time though if that were a necessary food source now.
And also extremely unlikely. ;)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 pm
Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition. Image
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Frnc wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:10 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 pm

Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition. Image
The Spanish Inquisition has nothing to do with prepping. We are a moderate, practical forum - not Rambo-esque survivalists running around the forests eating leaves and raw fish. Consider this a friendly reminder of our MO.