How you keeping cool .

How are you preparing
Vitamin c

How you keeping cool .

Post by Vitamin c »

It's hot according to government were going to have to get used to it.
To stay cool costs money fans , air con any tips for staying cool on the cheap.

Myself I've closed all windows and curtains and lifted the loft hatch this let's warm air escape through the roof .
Yesterday evening I soaked a tea towel in water rung it out and draped it over my shoulders worked well .

What about you.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Re: How you keeping cool .

Post by jansman »

Similar.The living room is open - windowed, curtains shut,and a mylar blanket is hanging over the West facing windows to reflect sunshine later today. We have a fan,with 2 litre bottles of ice at the back to blow cooler air. Lots of water to drink.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kitchen
Venetian blinds inverted
Back door open

Front door open

Living room
Blackout blind down, window open

Other rooms, similar. My bedroom has a blackout blind, ditto spare bedroom, which gets midday sun. This blind will come down later.

Fan on

Stll 30° inside and day's hardly started.

Got 3 water bottles rotating to the fridge.

Cooling cloth ready. Didn't use it yesterday but will definitely need it today.

Going out to top up water in saucers for bees etc.

31° outside, Weather Underground map, nearest station about 400 yards, 09.20 am.
Last edited by Frnc on Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Mylar here too, curtains and blinds shut and ice water bottles in front of main fan (Jansman - you put yours behind?? Which is best?). Using extra usb fans plugged into solar panel on the balcony. When the sun moves out of sight I’ll plug them into a powerbank, Had cool/cold shower in the night. Not a breath of air from the sea, even though it’s yards away.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yesterday I looked up the old adage "drink tea to keep cool". It might work if you are exercising in low humidity, but might not work otherwise. I'll stick to cold water. Had two coffees earlier to kick start as per usual. Cold sandwich for dinner (lunch to you posh people).
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

We are cooler now in this heat than the fever we have both had so we arent too bad fan on curtains closed meant to hit 39 here today still be cooler than what we have gone through
Yesterday at the bottom of road a woman found a old lady wandering just a dress and socks on
Got her in her car the old lady didn't know her name thought she had a daughter and that her daughter was away
Woman rang police and ambulance but 40 mins later still with old lady ..giving her water and had her sat in car even though she wanted to get out bless her
Old woman was oh are we going on holiday ?
1 hour later still has her !
Fortunately she must have plastered it all over Facebook im not on it but it seems to have benefits for something like this
Two carers from a nursing home over a mile away rushed to them
Turns out lady had dementia she was 97 and had escaped via the fire exit door which was open to let some air in
Shed made it all that way in the heat with no shoes ....
If I ever get to that age it'd probably be me ..off to the pool 🙄
jansman

Post by jansman »

hobo wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:16 am Mylar here too, curtains and blinds shut and ice water bottles in front of main fan (Jansman - you put yours behind?? Which is best?). Using extra usb fans plugged into solar panel on the balcony. When the sun moves out of sight I’ll plug them into a powerbank, Had cool/cold shower in the night. Not a breath of air from the sea, even though it’s yards away.
I’ve opened the top window and dropped it down,outside,to cover the entire length of glass. It’s taped on,all round,and creates a space underneath. I tried to post a photo ,but it won’t load. :(
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Thinking of trips to Europe and how the homes all have shutters on their windows .
Could it work here.
Fill er up jacko...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Vitamin c wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:11 am Thinking of trips to Europe and how the homes all have shutters on their windows .
Could it work here.
I read about this, but apparently the UK is unusual in having windows that open outwards which would make shutters impossible to use.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m tempted to say ‘I live in Scotland’ but that’s maybe a bit of a wind up!

Linen trousers on at work, short sleeved white shirt. I’m stocked up with cool drinks today, I have to attend a SW review which will be ‘nice’…