Health. Self help.

Medical and Healthcare
diamond lil

Re: Health. Self help.

Post by diamond lil »

Excellent thread Jansman, love this stuff! I'm really into self help re health and wellbeing. As Gillybee found out, docs are far too keen on throwing everything at us and telling us it's good for us. Not always.
To cut down on antibiotic use, I use honey for wounds, it's amazing stuff. Husband's bypass scar has completely disappeared and a lot of the other folk in the "zipper club" group have horrible ugly scars. Because we used medicinal honey ointment. Also on minor skin infections - it's sticky but dab some on gauze and slap it on then sellotape it on :mrgreen:
I used to make an excellent cough mix from Thyme - it helped my youngest son's asthma when he was a bairn. He used to get a horrible cough and tightness, and a simple infusion of thyme and honey worked wonders.
Life is harder now we're old and bits of us keep falling off, so now I've moved onto diet. You can experiement with diet a lot. Main prob for me is mobility and I haven't yet found anything that works. Yet.
Loving all your answers, very interesting :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Loads of other stuff I've forgotten about, mainly herbal ointments etc. But one thing I would like to say is that we've got too fast. Life is too fast. People get ill, and - (in the good old days when you could actually see a doctor!) - he would throw some pills at you and you'd go back to work. Feeling hellish. And carry on.
Our lives might have speeded up but our bodies haven't, they need recuperation. Down time. Which nobody can afford now because they get hassle from work etc. We need to try, as some of you are saying, to look after our physical and mental wellbeing.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Take the time to heal many of us hurt /sprain ourselves doing our job but can't afford to take time off to heal properly leading to the same injury coming back if you keep repeatedly injurying the same place your eventually need a operation at the moment that's 5/6 year wait.

Rest and recuperation cost money...
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

So,late last night we sat outside with our feet in the dogs paddling pool - yes,I know :lol: - and Mrs J stood up to go and make a cup of tea. With wet feet in flip-flops she slipped over :( went her length and hurt her hand. This morning we were back at casualty and she found she has broken her finger.You couldn’t make it up.

In the spirit of this thread,she wouldn’t have gone ,and would have taken paracetamol and strapped it up.She is tough like that. As it was ,she had an x- ray, confirmation of what she knew ,strapped up and told to take paracetamols.And a follow up in a fortnight. Right now she has her hand resting on an ice pack. And no more wet feet in flip- flops. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Oh Jansman you have as much luck as we do
Hope that Mrs J is ok and doesn't over do it ...need the finger to repair ..and your chest infection is going ...
Think were related 😂
I'm having a sip of the homemade honey ginger and lemon drink ..loads of ginger in this one ..
Weather it works or not I try to boost the immune system not that its helped lately ..but I keep going ..
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well I am currently looking up remedies using thyme ,as described by diamond lil. I tend to get chest infections. Mrs J is taking it easy and made an announcement earlier: We are not going anywhere near NHS services tomorrow! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Just remembered something I once read about the 1918 Spanish flu Pandemic, true story. The found the men who worked in a certain warehouse in the London docks, did not get the flu. This warehouse was full of cinnamon.. So take from that what you will :shock: ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm Just remembered something I once read about the 1918 Spanish flu Pandemic, true story. The found the men who worked in a certain warehouse in the London docks, did not get the flu. This warehouse was full of cinnamon.. So take from that what you will :shock: ;)
Very interesting.I have bought a couple of books for Mrs J about medicinal herbs.We will set up a decent herb garden I think.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm Just remembered something I once read about the 1918 Spanish flu Pandemic, true story. The found the men who worked in a certain warehouse in the London docks, did not get the flu. This warehouse was full of cinnamon.. So take from that what you will :shock: ;)
Cinnamon is meant to be a very good anti viral. The aromatherapy blend 'thieves oil' is based on an old (and probably fake) story of some men who went round robbing plague victims, but never caught the plague. They avoided the noose by revealing how they didn't get ill. The blend that goes around at the minute has cinnamon and clove oil in it - it smells like Christmas! :lol: That's a good one to have going in a diffuser if someone is poorly in the house.
diamond lil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:57 am I used to make an excellent cough mix from Thyme - it helped my youngest son's asthma when he was a bairn. He used to get a horrible cough and tightness, and a simple infusion of thyme and honey worked wonders.
My cough diffusion has thyme in it :mrgreen:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

It's a shame really, we had 250,000 years as modern humans, learning by trial and error, building up tons of knowledge, and most of it's been lost in the last few hundred years, although a lot has been learned by scientists studying it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnobotany