Keeping the lights on when the grid is down

Homes and Retreats
Entilzha

Re: Keeping the lights on when the grid is down

Post by Entilzha »

Hey thanks for the detailed answer

I'm aware Tesla are not the cheapest but they do have a good installer / reseller network and they do have the license to have a backup interface in the uk. I also already drive a tesla and have the wall connector, so I'm already in bed with Elon for better or worse.

As far as I can tell from US forums, the solaredge/powerwall combo should work so long as we can get some on how UK regulations apply to offline grid scenarios
British Red

Post by British Red »

Entilzha wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:02 pm .

As far as I can tell from US forums, the solaredge/powerwall combo should work so long as we can get some on how UK regulations apply to offline grid scenarios
All your installer needs to do is source a Backup Gateway 2 from Tesla. It intelligently senses power outages and isolates the power wall and consumer unit from the mains in the event of a power outage, reestablishing the connection in a few seconds when mains power is restored. The unit costs around £1,800. There is a wiring schematic here

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/ene ... -powerwall
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Tesla solar/battery banks are not as good as some would have you believe and are very expensive for the results you get, your paying over the odds for the badge; do some research on it.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:20 pm
Entilzha wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:02 pm .

All your installer needs to do is source a Backup Gateway 2 from Tesla. It intelligently senses power outages and isolates the power wall and consumer unit from the mains in the event of a power outage, reestablishing the connection in a few seconds when mains power is restored. The unit costs around £1,800.
This Tesla solution sounds horrendously expensive. It seems you can only have a Tesla Powerwall as part of a proprietary Tesla licenced installation.. Clever Marketing there.
This site discusses pros and cons of the Powerwall

The Tesla Powerwall is more than a battery: A strange beast in that the power into it and out of it all flows as AC, through some sort of two way inverter that is separate from the solar inverter. Tesla were a first mover in that product. This site discusses some of the very few alternatives, albeit a couple of years out of date
This site also discusses alternatives

The same site says
"Unlike any other solar battery available in the UK, the Tesla Powerwall 2.0 is able to provide your home with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) with the addition of a Backup Gateway 2. The big benefit of fitting the Backup Gateway 2 to the Tesla Powerwall 2.0 is that you will still have a power supply in the event of a power cut.
That implies Tesla has or had a UK monopoly on the sort of kit needed. Does anyone know if that's the case? Is there no European equivalent?
Is Tesla really the only UK supplier of this kind of system????
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I just want a cheap 5V, 2A solar panel to charge powerbanks, waterproof and lightweight, can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 am I just want a cheap 5V, 2A solar panel to charge powerbanks, waterproof and lightweight, can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?
I've got a Anker charger but if it's not sunny it simply shuts down till the sun reapers it won't trickle

The big blue looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Charge ... CPLC&psc=1

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ar-charger
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 am
Frnc wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 am I just want a cheap 5V, 2A solar panel to charge powerbanks, waterproof and lightweight, can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?
I've got a Anker charger but if it's not sunny it simply shuts down till the sun reapers it won't trickle

The big blue looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Charge ... CPLC&psc=1

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ar-charger
thanks, will look into those
British Red

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 am Is Tesla really the only UK supplier of this kind of system????
No, Ecoflow have something similar, but the features are different. Ecoflow is a primarily mobile system, coupled to a domestic residence. Tesla is designed to be home use only.

https://uk.ecoflow.com/products/smart-h ... 2768083136
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:50 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 am Is Tesla really the only UK supplier of this kind of system????
No, Ecoflow have something similar, but the features are different. Ecoflow is a primarily mobile system, coupled to a domestic residence. Tesla is designed to be home use only.

https://uk.ecoflow.com/products/smart-h ... 2768083136
Thanks. Interesting. That's not quite equivalent and seems to have a few compromises for home use. Looks a bit of a lash up compared to Tesla's sleek setup.
Also, the Smart panel and Relays are ALL out of stock. Doh!

Hmmmm Maybe Tesla do have something of a monopoly. That's pretty remarkable in such a fundamental Utility.

It seems that the solar salesmen are pushing the grid tied systems that they want to sell, without consideration of what customers need. I bet MOST domestic solar installations are Grid Tied without batteries. Maybe uninteruptability of supply would be just too expensive to catch on. Paying ~£2k just for a glorified control panel, on top of the hugely expensive batteries is enough to make anyone baulk. Customers buying solar to save on energy costs, and not as a resilience prep? I wonder how that will work out for society when rolling blackouts start and all those customers are still sat in the dark..
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:11 pm
It seems that the solar salesmen are pushing the grid tied systems that they want to sell, without consideration of what customers need. I bet MOST domestic solar installations are Grid Tied without batteries. Maybe uninteruptability of supply would be just too expensive to catch on. Paying ~£2k just for a glorified control panel, on top of the hugely expensive batteries is enough to make anyone baulk. Customers buying solar to save on energy costs, and not as a resilience prep? I wonder how that will work out for society when rolling blackouts start and all those customers are still sat in the dark..
Yep all tied in. That's if your roof is compatible. I've had 3 quotes, one over the phone saying the roof isn't right, one came out and said the roof isn't right, the third added panels to my neighbours roof on google maps. :?

Tell that to the houseowner on the same street that has 9 panels installed on a identical roof. :tinfoil
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.