More pain.

For all things financial
Vitamin c

More pain.

Post by Vitamin c »

Financial expert Martin Lewis has made a further announcement that his last predictions on energy price rises were wrong and they are now going to rise by a huge 77% in only 3 months .
Not sure if that puts even more than 10 million people in fuel poverty as his last report suggested.
What can we do that were not doing already.
Could it get even worse than 77%.
Fill er up jacko...
hobo

Re: More pain.

Post by hobo »

Link please!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:23 am Financial expert Martin Lewis has made a further announcement that his last predictions on energy price rises were wrong and they are now going to rise by a huge 77% in only 3 months .
Not sure if that puts even more than 10 million people in fuel poverty as his last report suggested.
What can we do that were not doing already.
Could it get even worse than 77%.
There doesn't seem to be any limit to how high energy costs can get. It won't make any difference that people become desperate as supply and demand can't be suppressed by government handouts. So fuel poverty could become rampant. Heck, we might soon be past the time of affordable gas and electricity, forever.

All we as individuals can do is learn to tighten our belts, now, and maybe add energy resilience... Buy wood stoves etc. Any savings we do now will be good practice and soften the blow. Get used to a cooler home. Get used to washing less often and on a cooler setting. The ones hurt most will include the ones that never gave it any thought.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I'm not over concerned for myself. I lived for several months just 4years ago without electricity, water or sewage. I managed very well and can even say there were aspects of the life that I liked and would have been happy to continue (other half was not). I currently have all three so life with running water (private supply) and flushing loo would be a dawdle. I also have a diesel gennie with a good supply of fuel, a wood burning stove, ditto and a calor gas 2 ring cooker with a tiny oven and spare cylinders.

I am however concerned for family members, one in a city flat, who is fairly tough and would survive somehow but another who lives in an all electric house with small child a baby and a low income. I have a calor gas fire with cylinder ready to go to them but they are struggling to pay the current electric pre-pay meter so I have no idea how they're going to manage as prices keep rising. I help were I can ( stuck £50 on their meter last time I visited ) but there's a limit to what I can do and how often. I fear they will be one family in millions who are facing a cold and possibly hungry winter unless they get help from somewhere. Have no illusions that in my family's case thats me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

hobo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:37 amLink please!
Sorry hobo my phone don't do links (as far as I know )
But if you put his name in YouTube his latest video comes up straight away.
Fill er up jacko...
hobo

Post by hobo »

Cheers Vit C. Even more pain here!
Hinkley B: UK's most productive nuclear power plant closes…
Switching Hinkley off will mean more electricity made from gas, which is at a record high price at the moment… Industry experts have predicted the cost of energy in the UK will have to rise as a result.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-62339183
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

My mate starts work at Hinkley next week.

Anyhoo, my wife has just informed me that our gas and electric is going up from £70pcm to £120pcm. We are actually in credit just now and we have started making measures to cut down on usage so I think we will be okay but that’s us. I hate to think how those less well off will cope.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Don'r forget the increases are compound. 77% on top of 54% is 273%.
This just inhumane.
Almost all that increase is profit.
It's 173% rise, so including the original figure which is 100% of itself, the new figure is 273% of that, ie £1000 --> £2730
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Watch out if you use meter readers rather than reading and submitting yourself. I have just found out my last 3 leccie readings were entered so obviously wrong that BG just estimated instead and I now have to pay a catch-up bill. Thankfully we discovered this while we are still on a cheap fix or it could have been much worse.
Of course BG didn't tell us they had any concerns with the readings.And one time I took a photo of the readings logged against the date so I know it was the meter reader or BG's fault.
Lesson learned. Now climbing on stepstool to DIY.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:30 pm Watch out if you use meter readers rather than reading and submitting yourself. I have just found out my last 3 leccie readings were entered so obviously wrong that BG just estimated instead and I now have to pay a catch-up bill. Thankfully we discovered this while we are still on a cheap fix or it could have been much worse.
Of course BG didn't tell us they had any concerns with the readings.And one time I took a photo of the readings logged against the date so I know it was the meter reader or BG's fault.
Lesson learned. Now climbing on stepstool to DIY.

Next time he comes to read the meter do a bottom on him (you tube bottom gas man ) Rick maile and Eddie you'll need a frying pan :lol:

Why do they position them so you can't blooming get to them :roll:

Mum and dad's meter is burried under their stairs dad being the logical ex sparky had a switch on the door so you open it and the light comes on which confused the meter reader and a emergency light like what you'd see in a shop.. if the RCD trips or you get a power cut the light comes on you can see to reset it

when they got economy 7 the meter replacement man said it was bloody brilliant once he got over the initial shock he pulled the main fuse and jumped as the little florry tube flashed on above his head :lol: it's now an led one
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine